1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dividing Functions

1. Apr 1, 2007 #1
    How would one go about dividing two exponential functions.
    Basically I have f(x)=k*g(x)
    So to solve for k, k=f(x)/g(x)
    How would one accomplish this when the functions are both within the format:
    A*e^(Cx)+B

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2007 #2
    There's usually no nice simplification when there's a sum in the denominator.

4. Apr 1, 2007 #3
    There is a way to simplify, but it's not necessarily what you are looking for. You might or might not end up with an invariant remainder. Here:

[tex]\frac{Ae^{Cx} + B}{Oe^{Px} + Q}[/tex]

For example, let's say A = 1 and P = 1

[tex]\frac{Ae^{x} + B}{Oe^{x} + Q}[/tex]

Make the substitution e^x = y and get

[tex]\frac{Ay + B}{Oy + Q}[/tex]

Now we can write

[tex]\frac{A/O(Oy + Q - Q) + B}{Oy + Q}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{A/O(Oy + Q ) - QA/O + B}{Oy + Q}[/tex]

[tex]A/O + \frac{B - QA/O}{Oy + Q}[/tex]

B - QA/O is the remainder here.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  5. Apr 3, 2007 #4
    Hmm I will try your method Werg but like you say I am not sure it is what I am looking for.
    I am also trying to make both individual functions into linear expressions by taking the natural log of both sides however I run into natrual log rules which keep this from succeeding. Any ideas in the department?
    Another note, I would like to clarify that I should have represented the functions as something like:
    f(n)
    g(v)
    they are both describing different attributes of a system. What I am trying to accomplish is finding a relationship between n and v. Still working towards a solution so any help greatly appreciated.

C.N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?