Dividing Lamé coefficients

• B
  • Thread starter LagrangeEuler
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficients
In summary, The conversation discusses the use of Lame coefficients in calculations and how they can be divided, but only if the denominator is not zero. The concept of Lame coefficients may be advanced, but the problem presented is simply multiplying a fraction by 1. However, at points where the denominator is zero, a different coordinate system must be used for accurate analysis.
LagrangeEuler
Sometimes in calculations authors uses
[tex]\frac{1}{h_1h_2}=\frac{h_3}{h_1h_2h_3}[/tex]
where ##h_i, i=1,2,3## are Lame coefficients. For instance in spherical coordinates ##h_r=1##, ##h_{\theta}=r##, ##h_{\varphi}=r\sin \theta##. I am not sure how we can divide so easily Lame coefficients when some on them obviously can be zero for certain values of parameters. Can someone give me some explanation? Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no background of the physics there but the formula seems multiplying the same number to denominator and numerator, so obviously right except the number is zero.

Changed problem level from A to B. The underlying concept of Lame coefficients might be advanced, but in the posted problem all that was done was to multiply a fraction by 1 in the form of ##h_3## over itself.

LagrangeEuler said:
I am not sure how we can divide so easily Lame coefficients when some on them obviously can be zero for certain values of parameters. Can someone give me some explanation? Thanks a lot in advance.

You can divide a function by another function provided that the denominator is not identically zero; this reduces the domain by excluding points where the denominator is zero. In the context of Lame coefficients these are points where the coordinate system breaks down, with a single point being referred to by multiple distinct coordinate tuples. If you need to analyze something at these points, the answer is to use a different coordinate system.

1. What are Dividing Lamé coefficients?

Dividing Lamé coefficients are mathematical constants used in elasticity theory to describe the relationship between stress and strain in a material.

2. How are Dividing Lamé coefficients calculated?

Dividing Lamé coefficients are typically calculated using experimental data from stress-strain tests on a material. They can also be calculated theoretically using equations derived from the material's elastic properties.

3. What is the significance of Dividing Lamé coefficients?

Dividing Lamé coefficients are important in understanding the behavior of materials under stress and strain. They can be used to determine the mechanical properties of a material and predict its response to different types of stress.

4. Can Dividing Lamé coefficients change over time?

In most cases, Dividing Lamé coefficients are considered to be constant for a given material. However, in some cases, they may change over time due to factors such as temperature, aging, or exposure to certain chemicals.

5. How do Dividing Lamé coefficients differ from other material constants?

Dividing Lamé coefficients are specific to elasticity theory and describe the relationship between stress and strain in a material. Other material constants, such as Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio, describe different aspects of a material's behavior under stress.