Can Differentials Be Divided Out in Equations Involving Well-Behaved Functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equality between the derivatives of two well-behaved functions, f and g, with real variables x and z. It is possible to divide out the differentials and integrate to obtain the equation f(x) = g(x) + constant. However, this formal calculation is not necessary as we can define differentials using the derivative as the limit of a fraction.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

Say I have the equality
[tex]
\frac{df(x)}{dx} = \frac{dg(z)}{dz}
[/tex]
where f and g are two functions that are well-behaved such that I can take their derivate. The variables x and z are both real, and run from -∞ to ∞. In this case, am I allowed to divide out the differentials dx and dz such that
[tex]
df(x) = dg(z)
[/tex]
which I can integrate and obtain
[tex]
f(x) = g(z) + \text{constant}
[/tex]
?Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

Hi

Say I have the equality
[tex]
\frac{df(x)}{dx} = \frac{dg(z)}{dz}
[/tex]
where f and g are two functions that are well-behaved such that I can take their derivate. The variables x and z are both real, and run from -∞ to ∞. In this case, am I allowed to divide out the differentials dx and dz such that
[tex]
df(x) = dg(z)
[/tex]
which I can integrate and obtain
[tex]
f(x) = g(z) + \text{constant}
[/tex]
?Niles.

I'm assuming from here on that f and g are functions of one variable...

You can come to this conclusion without doing any formal calculations (eg. "dividing out by differentials"). Although what you have done would work.

z is just a variable, so you can just write g(x) instead of g(z). Then, you get
[tex]
\frac{df(x)}{dx}=\frac{dg(x)}{dx}.[/tex] Or, more sggestively, [itex]f'(x)=g'(x)[/itex]. Then, integrating both sides, you get [itex]f(x)=g(x)+constant[/itex].

Dividing out by differentials, which is a formal calculation (and thus not rigorous), is not necessary. Although, it is true that, in a sense, you can divide them out (see differential 1-forms).

Last edited:
Once we have the derivative, dy/dx, it is standard to define the "differential" by [tex]dy= (dy/dx)dx[/tex] where we can think of the "dx" as purely "symbolic". While the derivative is NOT a fraction, it is the limit of a fraction, the "difference quotient". It is possible to prove any "fraction property" by going back before the limit, applying the property to the difference quotient, then taking the limit. To make use of the fact that the derivative can be treated like a fraction, we define "differentials" in that way- we can say
[tex]f'(x)= \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
where the f'(x) on the left is the derivative and the dy/dx on the right is the ratio of the differentials.

Thanks for the quick replies.

1. What is the concept of dividing out differentials?

The concept of dividing out differentials is a mathematical technique used to simplify and solve equations involving derivatives. It involves dividing both sides of an equation by the differential term, which allows for the elimination of the differential and makes the equation more manageable to solve.

2. When is it necessary to divide out differentials?

Dividing out differentials is necessary when solving equations involving derivatives. It is particularly useful when dealing with complex equations or when trying to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

3. What are the steps involved in dividing out differentials?

The steps involved in dividing out differentials are as follows:

1. Identify the differential term in the equation.
  2. Divide both sides of the equation by the differential term.
  3. Simplify the resulting equation, if possible.
  4. Solve the equation for the variable.
  5. Check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation.

4. Are there any restrictions when dividing out differentials?

Yes, there are some restrictions when dividing out differentials. The differential term cannot be equal to zero, as division by zero is undefined. Additionally, when dealing with multiple variables, it is important to ensure that the differential term is not a function of the variable being solved for.

5. How can dividing out differentials be applied in real-life situations?

Dividing out differentials can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, it can be used to find the maximum profit of a business, determine the rate of change in a physical system, or calculate the growth rate of a population.