Divine Proportion - What is it & How Does it Work?

• Thread starter Quantum1332
  • Start date
In summary, the divine proportion is a relation between two numbers that is found throughout nature, and is relatively simple.
Quantum1332
So, i didn't know what this was classified as, so i settled for this genre. Can someone explain to me exactly how this works. How does everything come back to 1.618.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't, any more than "everything comes back to" 1, or 2, or 3.14! [itex]\pi[/itex] (which can be approximated by 3.14) satisfies some very basic relationships that are found (again approximately) throughout nature because they are simple. The "divine proportion", [itex]\frac{-1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex] which is approximately 1.618, satisfies the very simple relation [itex]z=\frac{1-z}{z}[/itex] which, just because it is simple occurs throughout nature.

ACTUALLY, Halls, [itex]\frac{-1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex] is less than 1, and thus only extremely approximate to 1.618..

Runs and hides within a golden rectangle..

Oops, writing too fast again. I meant
[tex]\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]
which is, more accurately but still not exact, 1.6180339887498948482045868343656.

Quantum1332 said:
So, i didn't know what this was classified as, so i settled for this genre. Can someone explain to me exactly how this works. How does everything come back to 1.618.

If u read "the Da Vinchi Code", u'll find in it all the proportions that are related to this magic number, I read it and I was some astonished but I don't have the book now to tell u more.
But I do advise u to read it, or see the film

No, no, no, no.

That 'novel' is an (atrociously badly written) piece of fiction containing Dan Brown's (or it turns out his wife's) half assed research that is completely rubbish. Do not read it for the mathematical insight. Do not read it for literary merit either (it has none).

Is the divine proportion not so because it is the simplest from of recursion? Recursion is a very common mechanism in nature.

Hmm, I'd say that the recurrence relation [itex]a_{n+1}=a_{n}[/itex] is even simpler than the recurrence relation for the Fibonacci numbers.

DaveC426913 said:
Is the divine proportion not so[\quote]what do 'is' and 'so' mean in this context?

because it is the simplest from of recursion?

'simple' is a little subjective. see previous post by arildno.

As I see it, the reason why the divine proportion occurs so often is closely related to the probable fact that most mechanisms work on a local level, and thus, any seemingly macro-scale mechanism is actually just a compound effect of local mechanisms.
That the resultant global picture should, at times, mimick the local picture isn't a too exotic possibility. But that's basically what the "divine" proportion is about.

From this perspective, it is seen that there is nothing "divine" about that proportion; rather, its prevalence indicates that there isn't any grand, intelligent design going on in nature, independent from simple, natural mechanisms.

Last edited:
you can find everything related to it on :
http://www.lhup.edu/%7Edsimanek/pseudo/fibonacc.htm

What is the Divine Proportion?

The Divine Proportion, also known as the Golden Ratio, is a mathematical concept that has been observed in nature and art for centuries. It is an irrational number, approximately equal to 1.618, and is often represented by the Greek letter phi (φ).

How is the Divine Proportion calculated?

The Divine Proportion can be calculated by dividing a line into two parts in such a way that the ratio of the longer part to the shorter part is equal to the ratio of the sum of both parts to the longer part. This can be expressed mathematically as (a+b)/a = a/b = φ.

Where is the Divine Proportion found in nature?

The Divine Proportion can be found in many natural phenomena, such as the proportions of human bodies, the growth patterns of plants, and the shapes of galaxies. It is also seen in the proportions of animals, such as the spirals on a snail's shell or the patterns on a butterfly's wings.

How is the Divine Proportion used in art and design?

The Divine Proportion has been used in art and design for centuries, as it is believed to create aesthetically pleasing compositions. It can be seen in the proportions of famous artworks, such as the Mona Lisa and the Parthenon. Many artists and designers also use the Divine Proportion as a guide for creating balanced and visually appealing designs.

Is there any scientific evidence for the Divine Proportion?

While the Divine Proportion has been observed in nature and art, there is still ongoing debate among scientists about its significance and whether it is truly a universal principle. Some studies have shown that humans do have a preference for objects that follow the Divine Proportion, but further research is needed to fully understand its role in the natural world.