1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diving bell

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An evacuated spherical diving bell containing a camera is in the ocean at a depth of 121 m. It has a flat, transparent, circular port with a diameter of 19.7 cm. Find the magnitude of the total force on the port (use ρseawater) = 1025 kg/m3).

2. Relevant equations

P(total)= ρgh+P(atm)
    A=[tex]\pi[/tex]R^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that you need to find the total pressure on the bell. And then i think you have to subtract that total pressure from atmospheric pressure. this is what i have been doing and it is not working correctly. does anyone have any ideas?

Thanx!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Force = pressure x area. You know the pressure of the water at that depth, since density is known. Rest is easy. Atm presssure may be neglected.

4. Nov 15, 2007 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just to amplify what Shooting star is saying, the reason you can neglect atmospheric pressure is not because it is terribly small. It's about ten percent of the seawater pressure, but because you should probably assume there is also atmospheric pressure inside of the bell, so it cancels. Just use the rhoseawater they gave you together with the area.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  5. Nov 15, 2007 #4
    Total force on the port:

pressure/area from seawater on one side
    pressure/area from 1atm on the other side

6. Nov 15, 2007 #5

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Hi Dick,

The problem specifically states that the sphere has been evacuted. So, inside is almost vacuum.

To be realistic then, P_atm should be added to the water pressure, since 1/10 of the water pressure is not really negligible.

7. Nov 15, 2007 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In that case, yes, it should. Sorry, I should read more carefully!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?