Calculating Diving Board Force: 596N Diver, 1.9m from Fulcrum, 114N Board

• Thread starter TheHamburgler1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Board
In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the force exerted by the fulcrum on a diving board with a 596N diver standing 1.9m away from the fulcrum and a 114N diving board located 2.1m away from the fulcrum. The question is whether both weights (596N and 114N) should be added together to get 710N or only the weight of the person (596N) should be used. The person is looking for clarification on how to use the torque equation to find the force exerted by the fulcrum. The conversation ends with the person finding the answer to be 1352.38N by using a free body diagram and solving for the
TheHamburgler1
Im not sure if I have to add both weights and if so I don't know if I am adding them to the right spots.

Q) A 596N diver is standing at the edge of a diving board, 1.9m from the fulcrum of a 114N diving board. The fulcrum is located 2.1m from where it is bolted at the opposite end

Find the force the fulcrum exerts on the diving board.

My only question is whether or not I add both 596 and 114 to get 710 and then use 710 or do I only use 596?

so far I have: -F1+F2+-w1+-w2 should I add -w2 or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
What are your variables (F1, F2, w1, w2)? and what is your thinking behind your equations?

And what do you mean by "use 710" or "use 596"? for what? is there a part b (maybe something involving torque?), or are you just looking for the force exerted by the fulcrum?

Try to clarify your thoughts for us.

I'm only looking for the force that the fulcrum exerts and I thought I had to use the torque equation in order to find it with what I am given, or am I mistaken? by 710 I meant the combined weight of the person and the board.

That answer would then be right... you don't need to think about using the torque equation unless you had an additional unknown force (two unknowns would need two equations... one for the net force and one for the net torque). You might want to look at this developing thread for a problem like that (see how yours is simple in comparison?):
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=143612

PS -- ALWAYS use units (710N)

Im sorry, I do not know either F2 or F1 therefore I can't use that equation can I?

You still haven't said what you've defined as F1, F2, w1, w2, etc... or what equation you are particularly using. If you are thinking of using torque, torque is related to force times distance. if you are using forces, then what forces pushing down would equal what forces pushing up, so that net force was zero?

I think you might want to read about this somewhere in your text again. You seem :uhh: confused.

F1 is the bolt force F2 is the fulcrumforce W1 is the person weight W2 is the board weight

This is the first time you've mentioned a "bolt" where is that?

I propose you do the following.

1) draw a free body diagram of the system.
2) if you are at equilibrium, the net force and net torque are zero. Using these you should be able to determine all the unknowns.

and this leads back to my main question of whether or not when using W to find F2 if I add the person and the board together to get 710 or do I do something different witht the two weights

And this leads me back to saying -- can you then attach a free body diagram of the system -- showing where you are getting a net force or torque?

I just got the answer thanks

I always first -- draw a free body diagram.
second -- write an net force equation: forces up = forces down.
third -- write a net torque equation: torques making it pivot left = torques making it pivot right.
fourth -- solve the equations.

This is what YOU have to do.

I got the answer to be 1352.38N

Show your work?

F2r+-wr=F2(2.1)+-710(4)=280/2.1=1352.38

Right? Wrong?

1. What is the purpose of a diving board?

A diving board is a structure used for launching oneself into a body of water, typically in a swimming pool. It allows for more height and momentum in a dive compared to jumping from the edge of a pool.

2. How do you properly use a diving board?

The proper way to use a diving board is to approach it from the side, stand at the end of the board, and then take a few steps back. Keep your arms at your sides and your body straight. As you reach the end of the board, jump off with your feet together and your arms extended above your head. Do not dive headfirst or attempt any dangerous stunts.

3. What is the recommended height for a diving board?

The recommended height for a diving board varies depending on the depth of the pool. For a pool with a depth of at least 9 feet, a diving board should be at least 8 feet in length. For a pool with a depth of 12 feet or more, a diving board should be at least 10 feet in length. It is important to follow local regulations and safety guidelines when choosing a diving board for your pool.

4. Are there any safety precautions to take when using a diving board?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to take when using a diving board. Always check the water depth and make sure it is safe for diving. Never dive headfirst or attempt any dangerous stunts. Always dive or jump off the end of the board, not the sides. Make sure the diving board is in good condition and free of any cracks or damage. Lastly, always supervise children and inexperienced divers when using a diving board.

5. Can you install a diving board on any type of pool?

No, not all pools are suitable for a diving board. The pool must have a minimum depth and volume of water to ensure a safe diving experience. It is important to consult with a professional and follow local regulations and safety guidelines before installing a diving board on your pool.