Calculating Hawk's Shadow Speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the speed of a hawk's shadow on the ground when the hawk is diving towards the ground at a constant velocity of 5.00 m/s at a 60 degree angle below the horizontal. The solution involves using the cosine of 300 degrees or a 30-60-90 triangle to find the speed of the shadow, which is 2.5 m/s. The person asking for clarification also confirms that the thinking process used to solve the problem is correct. The conversation also includes a request for a visual representation of the situation.
niyati
3. When the Sun is directly overhead, a hawk dives toward the ground with a constant velocity of 5.00 m/s at 60.0 degrees below the horizontal. Calculate the speed of her shadow on the level ground.

I am having some trouble picturing this problem in terms of a coordinate grid (this is in a chapter dealing with motion in two dimensions). I'm basically making a triangle, and I know (or at least I'm hoping) that the shadow is the horizontal component of the vector that is the hawk's flight. If it's 60 degrees below the "horizontal" or, the way I see it, the "line of sight", the direction is equivalent to 300 degrees if making an imaginary coordinate grid at the point before she descends, making the h.c. = 5.00cos300. Or, actually, the entire thing is a 30-60-90 triangle, so the velocity of her shadow is 2.5 m/s.

...is that right? Or, rather, is my long-winded train of thought correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct. Good Job!

You should get the same answer if you did the problem with the cosine of 300 degrees or with the 30-60-90 triangle. Both descriptions of the situation can accurately be used to find the answer.

Also, your thinking, as far as I understand it, is correct. 60 degrees below the horizontal in the can be described by an angle of 300 degrees. Was this all you were asking or is there more to your train of thought that you were unsure about?

Last edited:
Yes you are right

Thank you! :DDD

That was all I was wondering.

Yep, yep!

Thanks a bunch! =]

ok can someone please explain how the picture looks for this question!
i don't understand the picture since it says the hawk is diving down under the horizontal
so where is the shadow?
help please

What is the formula for calculating Hawk's Shadow Speed?

The formula for calculating Hawk's Shadow Speed is: speed = distance / time. This means that the speed of Hawk's shadow can be determined by dividing the distance the shadow travels by the time it takes to travel that distance.

How can I measure the distance of Hawk's Shadow?

The distance of Hawk's Shadow can be measured using a measuring tool, such as a ruler or tape measure. Simply measure the length of the shadow on the ground from the base of the object casting the shadow to the tip of the shadow.

What units should I use when calculating Hawk's Shadow Speed?

The units used for calculating Hawk's Shadow Speed depend on the units used for measuring distance and time. For example, if distance is measured in meters and time is measured in seconds, then the speed will be in meters per second (m/s).

Can I calculate Hawk's Shadow Speed if I only know the distance or time?

Yes, you can still calculate Hawk's Shadow Speed if you only know the distance or time. However, you will need to know at least one of these values in order to calculate the speed. If you only know the distance, you can use the formula speed = distance / time and solve for time. If you only know the time, you can use the formula speed = distance / time and solve for distance.

Is calculating Hawk's Shadow Speed affected by external factors?

Yes, calculating Hawk's Shadow Speed can be affected by external factors such as wind or uneven surfaces. These factors can impact the distance and time measurements, resulting in an inaccurate calculation of the speed. It is important to try to control for these factors as much as possible when measuring and calculating the speed of Hawk's Shadow.