1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diving into Discrete Math

1. Aug 17, 2015 #1

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

(I guess you could put this in a computer science section since discrete math is the math of computers.) What learning resources do you recommend for learning discrete math from a person who knows none of it to a person who can do it easily? I have tried to study the topics below but the symbols used in them aren't explained in anything I read. Mostly, it's the symbols that I'm having trouble understanding but I really am just a beginner. I want to learn discrete math due to its relevance to computer science. The topics that I have tried to study include:

1. Information Theory and Entropy
    2. Mathematical Logic
    3. Set Theory
    4. Combinatorics
    5. Automata Theory
    6. Number Theory
    7. Graph Theory
    8. Discrete Probability Distributions
    9. Computability Theory
    10. Computational Complexity Theory
    11. Cryptography
    12. Computational Geometry
    13. Topology
    14. Combinatorial Optimization
    15. Relational Database Theory
    16. https://www.amazon.com/Algorithms-4...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1439870056&sr=1-3

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 18, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

5. Aug 18, 2015 #4
  6. Aug 19, 2015 #5
  7. Aug 19, 2015 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What's your basis of saying they're not good?

Grimaldi is a good book. Knuth covers way different topics than the books I mentioned.

8. Aug 19, 2015 #7
    Eppchas a clear explanation on the basic concepts but she does not treat the topics in depth, and the problems are very easy. Rosen is extremely long-winded and very confusing in presenting the concepts. I will add more details once I get back.

9. Aug 24, 2015 #8
    I usually used Rosen's book with a good dose of youtube videos. It isn't a bad text but it's not as organised. Then again, I assumed that most people nowadays refer to online videos as well.

10. Aug 26, 2015 #9
    Is it the language of sets?. Google search sets math/ logic. There should be articles floating around. There was a good one from Berkeley which explained what sets are and even had problems.

Is this a self study or class? If it is a self-study, may I suggest to learn linear algebra first? I'm currently using Epps for my discrete class that starts next monday. Honestly, I would have found discrete math hard if it was my first abstract math class. Good thing I had practice with linear algebra. Even made me cry at one point lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook