Mastering Discrete Math: A Comprehensive Guide for Beginners in Computer Science

In summary, there are various learning resources available for someone who wants to learn discrete math, from books such as Epp's "Discrete Mathematics with Applications" and Knuth's "Concrete Mathematics" to online courses like MIT's "Mathematics for Computer Science". However, some recommended books like Apps and Rosen are not as good due to issues with explanation and organization. It is also suggested to have prior knowledge in linear algebra before diving into discrete math, as it may make the learning process easier.
RooksAndBooks
Gold Member
(I guess you could put this in a computer science section since discrete math is the math of computers.) What learning resources do you recommend for learning discrete math from a person who knows none of it to a person who can do it easily? I have tried to study the topics below but the symbols used in them aren't explained in anything I read. Mostly, it's the symbols that I'm having trouble understanding but I really am just a beginner. I want to learn discrete math due to its relevance to computer science. The topics that I have tried to study include:

1. Information Theory and Entropy
  2. Mathematical Logic
  3. Set Theory
  4. Combinatorics
  5. Automata Theory
  6. Number Theory
  7. Graph Theory
  8. Discrete Probability Distributions
  9. Computability Theory
  10. Computational Complexity Theory
  11. Cryptography
  12. Computational Geometry
  13. Topology
  14. Combinatorial Optimization
  15. Relational Database Theory
  16. https://www.amazon.com/dp/032157351X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's your basis of saying they're not good?

Grimaldi is a good book. Knuth covers way different topics than the books I mentioned.

Eppchas a clear explanation on the basic concepts but she does not treat the topics in depth, and the problems are very easy. Rosen is extremely long-winded and very confusing in presenting the concepts. I will add more details once I get back.

bacte2013 said:
Eppchas a clear explanation on the basic concepts but she does not treat the topics in depth, and the problems are very easy. Rosen is extremely long-winded and very confusing in presenting the concepts. I will add more details once I get back.
I usually used Rosen's book with a good dose of youtube videos. It isn't a bad text but it's not as organised. Then again, I assumed that most people nowadays refer to online videos as well.

Is it the language of sets?. Google search sets math/ logic. There should be articles floating around. There was a good one from Berkeley which explained what sets are and even had problems.

Is this a self study or class? If it is a self-study, may I suggest to learn linear algebra first? I'm currently using Epps for my discrete class that starts next monday. Honestly, I would have found discrete math hard if it was my first abstract math class. Good thing I had practice with linear algebra. Even made me cry at one point lol.

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures and objects, rather than continuous ones. It involves the study of mathematical structures such as graphs, trees, and sets, and their properties and relationships.

2. How is discrete math used in science?

Discrete math is used in various scientific fields, including computer science, physics, and biology. It is used to model and analyze discrete systems, such as computer algorithms, electrical circuits, and genetic inheritance patterns.

3. What are some applications of discrete math in everyday life?

Discrete math has many applications in everyday life, including in telecommunication networks, cryptography, and social networks. It is also used in scheduling and optimization problems, making it relevant in areas such as transportation and logistics.

4. Is discrete math difficult to learn?

Discrete math can be challenging for some people, as it involves abstract thinking and problem-solving skills. However, with practice and a good understanding of fundamental concepts, it can be a rewarding and enjoyable subject to learn.

5. What are the benefits of learning discrete math?

Studying discrete math can improve critical thinking and logical reasoning skills, which are valuable in various fields. It also provides a foundation for further study in computer science, engineering, and other math-related disciplines.