Solve for Height of Cliff After Diver Jumps Off at 2.2m/s

• Thread starter atbruick
  • Start date
In summary, the given problem involves a diver running at a velocity of 2.2 m/s and diving out horizontally from a vertical cliff. After 2.5 seconds, the diver reaches the water below. Using the equation Y=Yo+Vyo*t-.5gt^2, where Y is 0 (the point when the diver hits the water) and Vyo is 2.2 m/s, the height of the cliff can be calculated. However, the calculated height may differ from the answer given by the online homework.
atbruick

Homework Statement

A diver running 2.2 m/s dives out horizontally from the edge of a vertical cliff and 2.5 s later reaches the water below. How high was the cliff?

Homework Equations

Y=Yo+Vyo*t-.5gt^2

I have Y as being 0 (the point when they hit the water) and velocity of y at time zero being 2.2 m/s.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation above and substituted and got 0=y+(2.2)(2.5)-.5(9.8)(2.5^2) and got 25 for y, but my online homework says it's wrong. I've double checked and can't figure out where I went wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The diver has an initial speed of 2.2m/s in the horizontal direction. What is the diver's initial speed in the vertical direction?

zero, because they are not moving either up or down yet, thank you very much!

1. What is the equation for solving the height of a cliff after a diver jumps off at 2.2m/s?

The equation for solving this problem is h = (v^2)/(2g), where h is the height of the cliff, v is the initial velocity of the diver, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How do you determine the initial velocity of the diver?

The initial velocity of the diver can be determined by measuring the speed at which the diver jumps off the cliff. In this case, it is given to be 2.2m/s.

3. What is the value of g in this equation?

The value of g in this equation is the acceleration due to gravity, which is typically rounded to 9.8 m/s^2 for most scientific calculations on Earth.

4. Can this equation be used to calculate the height of a cliff for any initial velocity?

Yes, this equation can be used to calculate the height of a cliff for any initial velocity as long as the acceleration due to gravity remains constant (which is the case on Earth).

5. Are there any other factors that should be considered when using this equation?

Yes, there are a few other factors that may affect the accuracy of this calculation, such as air resistance and the height of the diver's center of mass. However, these factors can be negligible for small heights and velocities, making this equation a good approximation for solving the height of a cliff after a diver jumps off.