Calculating SCUBA Tank Air Consumption for Offshore Oil Rig Maintenance

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of an underwater maintenance schedule for an offshore oil rig, where divers work at a depth of 15m and consume 130L of air at an ambient temperature of 10C. The atmospheric pressure is 101325Pa and each full SCUBA diving tank contains 3Kg of air. The question asked is what fraction of the tank air mass will be consumed on each job. The conversation also touches upon finding the pressure at 15m using the formula P=(density)*g*h, with uncertainty about whether it is absolute or gauge pressure.
alexparker

Homework Statement

You are designing an underwater maintences schedule for an offsore oil rig. The Divers work at a depth of 15m and the seawater Denisty is 1027Kgm^-3. They Are know to Consume 130L of air at the ambient temperature of 10C over the time to do the job. Atmospheric pressure is 101325Pa. Each Full SCUBA diving tank contains 3Kg of air.

What Fraction of the tank air mass will be consumed on each Job

Any help would awesome. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
So far i have Found the Pressure at 15m using
P=(density)*g*h (quick question is this Absoulte or gage, not quite sure for under water)

Hey, I am having the same problem!

alexparker said:
So far i have Found the Pressure at 15m using
P=(density)*g*h (quick question is this Absoulte or gage, not quite sure for under water)

I thinks it is gage pressure

Use this to check your calculations pressure under water

Yeah it was gage.

still can't get a resonable answer however

What is diving?

Diving is the activity of swimming or moving underwater, usually using specialized equipment such as a scuba tank or snorkel.

How does pressure affect diving?

Pressure is an important factor in diving as it increases as a person descends deeper into the water. This can cause changes in the body, such as the compression of air spaces and the absorption of gases, which must be carefully managed to avoid injury.

What are pressure fluids?

Pressure fluids are substances that are able to transmit pressure evenly in all directions within a confined space. They are commonly used in diving equipment, such as air tanks and regulators, to help regulate and maintain pressure levels.

What is the relationship between diving and buoyancy?

Diving and buoyancy are closely related as buoyancy is the force that allows an object to float or sink in a fluid, such as water. In diving, proper buoyancy control is crucial for maintaining safety and conserving energy while underwater.

What are the potential risks of diving with pressure fluids?

The main risks associated with diving with pressure fluids include decompression sickness, which is caused by rapid changes in pressure, and nitrogen narcosis, which is a temporary impairment of cognitive function due to high levels of nitrogen in the body. These risks can be minimized by following proper diving procedures and using well-maintained equipment.