1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Divisibility homework help

1. Aug 13, 2010 #1
    In a set of integers from 250 to 380, inclusive, how many are multiples of both 2 and 7?

Please tell me if I'm correct:

floor((380-250+1)/(7*2)) = 9

And in general is it always the floor of [cardinality]/[LCM]?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Re: Divisibility

I get 10.
    On problems of this nature, the best course is to do a sanity check on your formula to see if it gives the right results.

4. Aug 13, 2010 #3

What formula do you use to get 10?

5. Aug 13, 2010 #4

Mark44

I didn't use a formula. The numbers in this set have to be multiples of 14, so I listed all multiples of 14 between 250 and 380.

6. Aug 13, 2010 #5

Is there a more efficient way than brute force?

Also, what would you do if one of the numbers wasn't prime; search for multiples of the LCM in a given set?

7. Aug 13, 2010 #6

Mark44

Here's a formula that gives the correct result:
    [tex]\frac{378 - 252}{14} + 1[/tex]

252 is the smallest multiple of 14 that is greater than 250. 378 is the largest multiple of 14 that is less than 280.

This would also work:
    [tex]floor(\frac{380 - 250}{14}) + 1[/tex]

8. Aug 13, 2010 #7

Thanks

Can you tell me whether your formulas are generalizable and whether the divisor is always the LCM of the two given numbers?

9. Aug 13, 2010 #8

Mark44

Probably. But brute force is superior to using a poorly-understood or incorrect formula that gives incorrect results.

This was a simple problem that took me all of a minute or two to list the numbers in the set, and count them. After I knew how many numbers there were I was able to come up with a formula that gave the same result.
    That seems reasonable.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook