Proving Divisibility: The Relationship between n, p, and (n-1)!

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that if n = pq, 1 < p < n, then p divides (n-1)!. The person asking for help is trying to prove this statement and is looking for an easier way to do so. The expert suggests using induction to prove the statement.
annoymage

Homework Statement

i want to show if n = pq, 1 < p < n, then p l (n-1)!

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

i can see its true, because p < n, p l p, then p l (n-1)!. and this prove very ambiguous for me

2 question.

1.help me, i think there must be easier way to prove the question

2. btw, how do i prove those bold statement?

if 1 < p < n, p l p, then p l (n-1)! its something like this p l (1)...(p)...(n-1)!, help T_T

Physics news on Phys.org

Here's an example (not a proof!) to show what's going on.

Let n = 21 = 7 * 3, with p = 7 and q = 3.

Does p | 20! ? Since 20! = 1 * 2 * 3 * ... * 6 * 7 * 8 * ... * 19 * 20, p clearly divides (n - 1)! in this example.

i know, that's what i already see. but how should i prove it T_T,

Show that, since p < n, then there is a factor of p in (n - 1)!. A proof by induction is one way to go. There might be a simpler way, but it doesn't occur to me.

i'll try by induction, thank you ^^

1. What is a divisibility math problem?

A divisibility math problem is a type of math problem where we determine whether one number is divisible by another number without any remainder. In other words, we are trying to find out if the first number can be divided evenly by the second number.

2. How do I know if a number is divisible by another number?

In order to determine if a number is divisible by another number, we need to check if the remainder is equal to zero when we divide the first number by the second number. If the remainder is zero, then the first number is divisible by the second number.

3. What is the divisibility rule for numbers ending in 0 or 5?

Numbers that end in 0 or 5 are divisible by 5. This means that if the last digit of a number is 0 or 5, then the number is divisible by 5.

4. What is the divisibility rule for numbers ending in 2 or 6?

Numbers that end in 2 or 6 are divisible by 2. This means that if the last digit of a number is 2 or 6, then the number is divisible by 2.

5. Are there any other divisibility rules for numbers?

Yes, there are several other divisibility rules for numbers. Some of the most common ones include: if a number is divisible by 3, then the sum of its digits is also divisible by 3; if a number is divisible by 9, then the sum of its digits is also divisible by 9; and if a number is divisible by 11, then the difference between the sum of its even digits and the sum of its odd digits is also divisible by 11.