Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divisibility of c by a and b but not ab .

1. Oct 1, 2003 #1
    Divisibility of "c" by "a "and "b" but not "ab".

Hello,

I am having trouble with this question:

i) Give an example of three positive integers a,b,c such that a|c and b|c but ab does NOT divide c.

ii) In the situation of part (i), is there a condition that guarentees that if a|c and b|c, then ab|c?

iii) Is the condition in part (ii) necessary? Either prove that it is necessary, or give an example to show that it is not necessary.

It took me a long time to find three integers that satisfied conditions in part i) of the question. In fact, I couldn't find any such integers, someone had to tell me.

The integers that were given to me were 2,4,12. Now that these integers were given to me, I definitely can see how they satisfy conditions in part i).

However I still am having trouble with (ii) and obviously (iii).

For part i) I was playing around with prime numbers. And I couldn't find any integers which satisfied part i). Was that my mistake? Was that the reason I couldn't find the integers necessary to answer part i)?

As well, is that the key to ii) and iii)? That is, to guarantee that, if a|c and b|c, then ab|c, a and b must be prime numbers?

Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did you give this much thought? If a divides c, then c contains all prime factors of a. If b divides c, then c contains all prime factors of b. Doesn't it follow that c contains all prime factors of BOTH a and b and so ab must divide c?
    No, it doesn't follow! Why not? What can you say about those prime factors?

Try a= 6, b= 4, and c= 12. WHY doesn't ab divide c?

a= 2, b= 4 and c= 12 also work as you noted. That's because a and b have a FACTOR IN COMMON (in both examples, the common factor is 2). That factor is in c but in ab, we get the factors TOGETHER: i.e. In the first example a= 2*3, b= 2*2, c= 2*2*3 but ab= 2*2*2*3- too many twos. How can you guarentee that that won't happen?

4. Oct 1, 2003 #3
    Hello HallsofIvy,

I did give this question quite a bit of thought. Suffice it to say that I spent too much time on this last question. I just cannot see how it all fits together. I know NOW that the gcd has something to do with it. But I don't see how.

5. Oct 17, 2003 #4
    Think of this:
    if X=a*b*b
    Y=b*c

then XY=(a*b*b)*b*c

then X divides abbc
    Y divides abbc

look at XY -> how many b's

how many b's in abbc

does XY divide abbc

will XY divide abbbc? why? how many b's

Aaron

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?