Divisibility of c by a and b but not ab .

The answer is given as a= 2, b= 4, and c= 12. This satisfies the conditions because 2 divides 12, 4 divides 12, but 2*4= 8 does not divide 12. In summary, the conversation discusses the question of finding three positive integers a, b, c where a divides c and b divides c, but ab does not divide c. The answer is given as a= 2, b= 4, and c= 12, and the discussion also explores the
wubie
Divisibility of "c" by "a "and "b" but not "ab".

Hello,

I am having trouble with this question:

i) Give an example of three positive integers a,b,c such that a|c and b|c but ab does NOT divide c.

ii) In the situation of part (i), is there a condition that guarentees that if a|c and b|c, then ab|c?

iii) Is the condition in part (ii) necessary? Either prove that it is necessary, or give an example to show that it is not necessary.

It took me a long time to find three integers that satisfied conditions in part i) of the question. In fact, I couldn't find any such integers, someone had to tell me.

The integers that were given to me were 2,4,12. Now that these integers were given to me, I definitely can see how they satisfy conditions in part i).

However I still am having trouble with (ii) and obviously (iii).

For part i) I was playing around with prime numbers. And I couldn't find any integers which satisfied part i). Was that my mistake? Was that the reason I couldn't find the integers necessary to answer part i)?

As well, is that the key to ii) and iii)? That is, to guarantee that, if a|c and b|c, then ab|c, a and b must be prime numbers?

Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
i) Give an example of three positive integers a,b,c such that a|c and b|c but ab does NOT divide c.

Did you give this much thought? If a divides c, then c contains all prime factors of a. If b divides c, then c contains all prime factors of b. Doesn't it follow that c contains all prime factors of BOTH a and b and so ab must divide c?
No, it doesn't follow! Why not? What can you say about those prime factors?

Try a= 6, b= 4, and c= 12. WHY doesn't ab divide c?

a= 2, b= 4 and c= 12 also work as you noted. That's because a and b have a FACTOR IN COMMON (in both examples, the common factor is 2). That factor is in c but in ab, we get the factors TOGETHER: i.e. In the first example a= 2*3, b= 2*2, c= 2*2*3 but ab= 2*2*2*3- too many twos. How can you guarantee that that won't happen?

Hello HallsofIvy,

I did give this question quite a bit of thought. Suffice it to say that I spent too much time on this last question. I just cannot see how it all fits together. I know NOW that the gcd has something to do with it. But I don't see how.

Think of this:
if X=a*b*b
Y=b*c

then XY=(a*b*b)*b*c

then X divides abbc
Y divides abbc

look at XY -> how many b's

how many b's in abbc

does XY divide abbc

will XY divide abbbc? why? how many b's

Aaron

1. What is the definition of divisibility?

Divisibility is the ability for one number to be divided evenly by another number, resulting in a whole number without any remainder.

2. Can a number be divisible by two numbers but not their product?

Yes, it is possible for a number to be divisible by two numbers, but not their product. This is because the factors of the number may not include the product of the two numbers.

3. How do you determine if a number is divisible by another number?

A number is divisible by another number if the remainder of the division is equal to 0. This can be determined by using the modulo operator, which returns the remainder of a division.

4. What is the significance of divisibility in mathematics?

Divisibility is an important concept in mathematics as it allows for easier manipulation of numbers and helps in identifying patterns and relationships between numbers. It is also crucial in solving problems related to factors, multiples, and prime numbers.

5. Can a number be divisible by two numbers if it is not divisible by their product?

Yes, a number can be divisible by two numbers without being divisible by their product. This is because the factors of the number may not include the product of the two numbers. For example, 12 is divisible by 3 and 4, but not by their product which is 12.