Divisibility Problem: Show That n=3

• Thread starter geoffrey159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Divisibility
In summary, to show that the only n ∈ ℕ−{0,1} such that 2n-1|(3n^2-3n+1)(3n^2-3n+2) is 3, we can rewrite the expression as P_n = ((2n-1)^2 + n(1-n))((2n-1)^2 + n(1-n) + 1) and then use the fact that in the ring ℤ/(2n-1)ℤ, the elements corresponding to 0 and n are related by n = 1 - n. By multiplying both sides by the element corresponding to 2, we get 2n-1 | 3 -
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Show that the only ##n \in \mathbb{N}-\{0,1\} ## such that ##2n-1|(3n^2-3n+1)(3n^2-3n+2)## is 3.

Homework Equations

## P_n = (3n^2-3n+1)(3n^2-3n+2) ##
Addition and multiplication in ## \mathbb{Z}/(2n-1)\mathbb{Z} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello, I'm not 100% sure my proof is correct for this problem, can you check it please ? Do you see a simpler way of doing it ?

I want to show that in ## \mathbb{Z}/(2n-1)\mathbb{Z} ##, ## \hat {P_n} = \hat 0 \Rightarrow n = 3 ## .

First, I rewrite ## P_n = ( (2n-1)^2 + n(1-n) ) ( (2n-1)^2 + n(1-n) + 1 ) ##.

Using the fact that ## \hat 0 = \widehat {2n-1} ## and ## \hat n = \hat 1 - \hat n ##, I get that ##\hat {P_n} = \hat {n^2} ( \hat {n^2} + \hat 1) ##

Now, assuming that ## \hat {P_n} = \hat 0 ##, I get that
##\hat 0 = \hat{4} \hat {P_n} = \widehat{4n^4} + \widehat{4n^2} = \widehat{ (2n^2)^2 } + \widehat { (2n)^2 } = \widehat{ (2n)^2 } .\widehat{n^2} + \hat 1 . \hat 1 = \hat{n^2} + \hat 1 ##

Multiplying by ##\hat{2}## left and right :
##\hat 0 = \widehat{2n}.\hat{n} + \hat 2 = \hat n + \hat 2 = \hat 1 - \hat n + \hat 2 = \widehat{3 -n} ##

So ## 2n-1 | 3 - n ##. It is always true that ## 2n-1 | 0 ## so ## n = 3 ## is a solution. It is the only possibility because ##2n-1\ge |3 - n| ## so it does not divide ## 3 - n ## for any other ##n\in \mathbb{N}-\{0,1\}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you !

Do you know a simpler way of solving this problem ?

I don't see one.

1. Why is showing that n = 3 important in the divisibility problem?

Showing that n = 3 is important because it is a key step in proving that a number is divisible by 3. If a number can be represented as 3k (where k is any integer), then it is divisible by 3. This is a fundamental concept in number theory and has many practical applications in mathematics and science.

2. How do I show that n = 3 in the divisibility problem?

To show that n = 3, you can use the division algorithm or the Euclidean algorithm. The division algorithm states that if a number is divisible by another number, then the remainder of the division is 0. So, if you divide n by 3 and the remainder is 0, then n is divisible by 3. The Euclidean algorithm is a more efficient way to find the remainder of a division. It involves repeatedly dividing the larger number by the smaller number until the remainder is 0.

3. Can I use other methods to show that n = 3 in the divisibility problem?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to show that n = 3 in the divisibility problem. For example, you can use modular arithmetic, which involves finding the remainder of a division using a specific modulus. In this case, the modulus would be 3. You can also use mathematical induction, which is a proof technique that involves proving a statement for a base case (in this case, n = 3) and then showing that it holds for all subsequent cases.

4. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for showing that n = 3 in the divisibility problem?

There are some tricks and shortcuts that can be used to show that n = 3 in the divisibility problem. For example, you can use the fact that the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by 3 if and only if the number itself is divisible by 3. This can be helpful when dealing with larger numbers. Additionally, you can use divisibility rules, such as the rule for divisibility by 3 which states that if the sum of the digits of a number is divisible by 3, then the number is also divisible by 3.

5. How is showing that n = 3 related to other divisibility rules and properties?

Showing that n = 3 is related to other divisibility rules and properties because it is a fundamental concept in divisibility. For example, if a number is divisible by both 2 and 3, then it is also divisible by 6 (since 6 is the least common multiple of 2 and 3). Additionally, showing that n = 3 can also be used to prove that a number is not divisible by another number. For example, if a number is not divisible by 3, then it is also not divisible by 6 or 9.