1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divisibility proof writing

1. Apr 21, 2014 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

this is the original question
    prove: [itex]\forall[/itex] c [itex]\in[/itex] Z, a≠ 0 and b both [itex]\in[/itex] Z$
    a|b ⇔ c*a|c*b

Then he corrected himself by saying for problem 1: to show that ca | cb implies a | b ... you must assume c NOT = 0 and invoke "Cancellation Property" of Z.

This kind of confused me but i think I get what he means

The attempt at a solution

so I understand that If you have that ca | cb thats like saying that ac=cbq for some q∈ℤ so, if c≠0 you can just take out those c in the both sides of the expression(because of "Cancellation Property" as he said) and you got left a=bq wich means that a|b

my problem is how do I translate this into a formal proof if and only if proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2014 #2
    ok so this is what I've got
    Prove: ∀c∈Z, c≠0 and b both∈Z a|b⇔ca|cb
    a|b if and only if b=ak for some k∈Z
    if and only if cb=cak for some c∈Z
    if and only if ac|cb

Is this a valid proof? It seems kind of short and it's lacking the "cancelation property" but I'm not sure I understand how to write it any other way

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted