Divisibility Proof Writing: Exploring the Cancellation Property in Z

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof for the statement that for all c∈Z, if c≠0 and b∈Z, then a divides b if and only if ca divides cb. The person initially had trouble understanding how to incorporate the "Cancellation Property" of Z into the proof, but eventually came to the conclusion that if c≠0, then ac|cb if and only if a|b. They also question if their proof is valid due to its brevity and lack of mention of the "Cancellation Property."
mikky05v
Homework Statement

this is the original question
prove: [itex]\forall[/itex] c [itex]\in[/itex] Z, a≠ 0 and b both [itex]\in[/itex] Z$
a|b ⇔ c*a|c*b

Then he corrected himself by saying for problem 1: to show that ca | cb implies a | b ... you must assume c NOT = 0 and invoke "Cancellation Property" of Z.

This kind of confused me but i think I get what he means

The attempt at a solution

so I understand that If you have that ca | cb that's like saying that ac=cbq for some q∈ℤ so, if c≠0 you can just take out those c in the both sides of the expression(because of "Cancellation Property" as he said) and you got left a=bq which means that a|b

my problem is how do I translate this into a formal proof if and only if proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok so this is what I've got
Prove: ∀c∈Z, c≠0 and b both∈Z a|b⇔ca|cb
a|b if and only if b=ak for some k∈Z
if and only if cb=cak for some c∈Z
if and only if ac|cb

Is this a valid proof? It seems kind of short and it's lacking the "cancelation property" but I'm not sure I understand how to write it any other way

1. What is "divisibility proof writing"?

Divisibility proof writing is a mathematical technique used to prove that one number is divisible by another. It involves breaking down a number into its prime factors and using mathematical properties to show that it can be evenly divided by another number.

2. Why is divisibility proof writing important?

Divisibility proof writing is important because it allows us to determine if a number is divisible by another number without having to actually perform the division. This can save time and help us solve more complex mathematical problems.

3. What are the steps for writing a divisibility proof?

The steps for writing a divisibility proof are:

1. State the number you are trying to prove is divisible by another number.
  2. Break down the number into its prime factors.
  3. Use mathematical properties (such as the distributive property or the commutative property) to manipulate the prime factors to show that they can be divided evenly by the other number.
  4. State your conclusion, showing that the number is indeed divisible by the other number.

4. Can divisibility proof writing be used for all numbers?

No, divisibility proof writing is most commonly used for whole numbers. It can also be used for decimals and fractions, but the process may be more complex.

5. What are some real-world applications of divisibility proof writing?

Divisibility proof writing can be used in many different fields, such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. In cryptography, divisibility proofs are used to ensure the security of codes and ciphers. In computer science, divisibility proofs are used to analyze algorithms and determine their efficiency. In physics, divisibility proofs are used to understand patterns in the natural world, such as the movement of planets or the growth of populations.