How to Prove the Divisibility Property Theorem?

In summary, to prove the theorem that if a l b and b l a then a=+-b, we can show that there exist integers p and q such that ap=b and bq=a. This implies that b = pa and a = qb, and therefore b = pa = p(qb) = (pq)b. Since p and q are both nonzero integers, we can conclude that pq=1, and thus p=1 and q=1. Therefore, a=b or (a=-b and b=-a), and (a=b or a=-b) is enough to prove the theorem.
annoymage

Homework Statement

proof the theorem

if a l b and b l a then a=+-b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

there exist integer p,q such that ap=b and bq=a, then I've no idea how i can relate it to a=+-b.. clue please T_T

Physics news on Phys.org
annoymage said:
there exist integer p,q such that ap=b and bq=a, then I've no idea how i can relate it to a=+-b.. clue please T_T

[tex] ap = b = (\frac{a}{q}) [/tex]

Multiply by q and divide be a (since b|a <--> a is not 0), giving us:

[tex] pq = 1 [/tex]

Do you follow?

yea yah, i thought that too, but don't know to continue from there too, owhoho, more clue please, ;P

wait, let me think first

annoymage said:

Homework Statement

proof the theorem

if a l b and b l a then a=+-b

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So b = pa and a = qb, for some integers p and q.
Then b = pa = p(qb) = (pq)b.

What can you say about pq?

Remember, p and q are both nonzero integers.

hmm, so pq=1 , hence, p=1 and q=1, hence a=b and b=a, still cannot get +-b, T_T

WAIIITTTT (-1)(-1) also equal 1, wait wait let me think again

so i get

a=b or (a=-b and b=-a)

=> (a=b or a=-b) and (a=b or b=-a)

(a=b or a=-b) is enough to verify it right?

Yep, though technically you're proving, not verifying. "Proving" is a stronger word...makes you sound "smarter/cooler" :P!

owho, thankyou very much

1. What is the divisibility property?

The divisibility property is a mathematical concept that states if one number can be evenly divided by another number, then the first number is divisible by the second number. This means that there is no remainder when the first number is divided by the second number.

2. How can I determine if a number is divisible by another number?

To determine if a number is divisible by another number, you can use the divisibility rules. For example, a number is divisible by 2 if it is even, divisible by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3, and divisible by 5 if it ends in 0 or 5. There are rules for other numbers as well.

3. How is the divisibility property used in math?

The divisibility property is used in various areas of math, such as prime factorization, simplifying fractions, and finding common factors and multiples. It is also used in algebra to solve equations and in geometry to find the perimeter and area of shapes.

4. Can the divisibility property be applied to decimals and fractions?

Yes, the divisibility property can be applied to decimals and fractions. For decimals, the rule is that if the last digit is divisible by the divisor, then the entire decimal is divisible by the divisor. For fractions, you can simplify by dividing the numerator and denominator by the same number until they are both whole numbers.

5. What is the importance of understanding the divisibility property?

Understanding the divisibility property is important in math because it allows us to quickly determine if numbers are divisible by other numbers, which is useful in various calculations. It also helps in finding common factors and simplifying fractions, which are important skills in advanced math courses.