Proving Divisibility: How to Show b|a When b3|a2 - Helpful Tips"

In summary, the conversation is about proving that if b^3 | a^3, then b|a. The conversation explores different approaches, such as using prime factorizations or observing that b^2|b^3|a^2. Ultimately, it is shown that b^2|a^2 implies b|a. Other possible methods are also mentioned for further reference."
audiowize
Hello,

If we are given that b3|a2, how do we show that b|a?

I started off looking at prime factorizations, but I could use a push in a more substantial direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Prime factorizations are one way to go.

Or you could observe that b^3 | a^3.

Last edited:
I know that since [tex]b^3 | a^3[/tex]

Then [tex]a^3 = mb^3[/tex] ( [tex]\exists m \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]). And [tex]a^3 \equiv b^3 \pmod m[/tex].

But I don't know where to go from here... :confused:

roam said:
I know that since [tex]b^3 | a^3[/tex]

Then [tex]a^3 = mb^3[/tex] ( [tex]\exists m \in \mathbb{Z}[/tex]). And [tex]a^3 \equiv b^3 \pmod m[/tex].

But I don't know where to go from here... :confused:

Can you prove that m is a cube?

hamster143 said:
Can you prove that m is a cube?

Hmm, that's a good idea but I'm not sure if it's possible to prove that...

roam said:
Hmm, that's a good idea but I'm not sure if it's possible to prove that...

If a cube is multiplied by a non-cube, is it still a cube?

[tex]b^2|b^3|a^2[/tex] so [tex]b^2|a^2[/tex]

Can you show that if [tex]b^2|a^2[/tex] then [tex]b|a[/tex]

Here's how I did it:
a and b are integers such that b^2|a^2 => mb^2 = a^2
Since the square root of a^2 = a, then we can take the sqrt(mb^2) = b*sqrt(m) = a.
Since a and b are integers, sqrt(m) must also be an integer
=> b|a

If you want to see some other ways check out https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=337837&page=2"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a divisibility question?

A divisibility question is a mathematical problem that asks whether one number is evenly divisible by another number, without leaving a remainder.

2. How do you determine if a number is divisible by another number?

To determine if a number is divisible by another number, you can use the division algorithm. This involves dividing the larger number by the smaller number and checking if the result is a whole number or decimal. If the result is a whole number, then the numbers are divisible, otherwise they are not.

3. What are some common divisibility rules?

Some common divisibility rules are that a number is divisible by 2 if it ends in an even number, by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3, by 4 if the last two digits form a number divisible by 4, by 5 if it ends in 0 or 5, and by 10 if it ends in 0.

4. How can divisibility be used in everyday life?

Divisibility can be used in everyday life for tasks such as splitting a bill evenly among friends, determining the number of equal groups that can be made from a given number of objects, and calculating the number of items needed to fill a certain amount of containers.

5. What is the significance of divisibility in mathematics?

Divisibility is an important concept in mathematics as it helps in understanding and solving more complex mathematical problems. It also has applications in other areas such as cryptography, computer science, and physics.