1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divisibility stuff

1. Jan 23, 2007 #1
    This isn't a homework problem but I found it on the internet and can't figure out how to do it. It's one of those "divisible by whatever"-type problems which I never learned how to solve...

I don't know how to work with this divisibility stuff when it's generalized to numbers like x+y+z. I don't even know where to begin. All I can do is "9w = x+y+z for some number w"...and now I don't know where to go. If I think up example values for x,y, and z I find that (a) keeps working, but I don't know why. Any help appreciated!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Reduce the expression modulo 9.
  4. Jan 23, 2007 #3
    I don't know what that means.. I don't think anything big is supposed to be used on this test since I found it on a SAT practice website.
  5. Jan 23, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Modular arithmetic isn't hard. It's fun! But alternatively, write a) as:

Now everything is divisible by 9, right?
  6. Jan 23, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

100x + 10y + z + 9= 99x+ x+ 9y+ y+ z+ 9= 9(11x+ y+ 1)+ x+y+z
    Does that answer the question for the first?

"reduce modulo 9" mean look for the part this isn't divisble by 9- the remainder when you divide by 9.

100= 9(11)+ 1 so 100 reduces to 1 modulo 9 and so 100x reduces to x modulo 9
    10= 9+ 1 so 10 also reduces to 1 modulo 9 so 10y reduces to 7 modulo 9
    Obviously 1 reduce to 1 modulo 9 so z reduces to z modulo 9
    9 itself reduces to 0 modulo 9
    In other words 100x+10y+z+ 9 consists of stuff that is obviously divisible by 9 plus x+ y+ z, the "modulo 9" part.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
  7. Jan 23, 2007 #6

Homework Helper

in more layman terms, all you are doing is more or less finding remainders when dividing by 9. writing numbers N as N = 9d +r, where r is the remainder, d is some integer. For x+y+z, you have x+y+z = 9d +0. One thing you do not know from the question however is whether x,y,z are all individually divisible by 9. But if so, i guess that would make the question trivial given those 5 choices available.
  8. Jan 24, 2007 #7
    I think he is trying to solve a problem from an SAT work book which includes trigonometric, algebraic and geometric arithmetic and not algebra (abstract algebra) so he might not be familar with the Modulo Arithmetic system? I had no idea what it was until I worked through a few chapters of a few different modern abstract algebra texts.

If he isn't, I don't know if he is going to understand it without a more clear definition, then again, I guess I can't make a judgment claim about a person I have never met. I have a slow learning curve so it might just be me.

Post number [tex]10^2[/tex]!

Sorry, I am bored at work.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?