Divisibility Test: Determine if a Number is Divisible by 6, 8, 4

In summary, a divisibility test is a rule or shortcut used to determine if a number is divisible by another number without performing the division calculation. To determine if a number is divisible by 6, it must be divisible by both 2 and 3, meaning the last digit must be even and the sum of all digits must be divisible by 3. An example of a number divisible by 8 is 240, as it is divisible by both 2 and 4 and the last three digits make a number divisible by 8. There is a trick to determine if a number is divisible by 4 - the last two digits must be divisible by 4. Finally, knowing if a number is divisible by 6, 8
Zaza
Mod note: Moved from technical forum section, so missing the usual sections.

Hi am 16yo and i was unable to tackle this quiz even despite trying some online calculators. i hope someone can explain to me step by step. thanks
In each of the following numbers without doing actual division, determine whether the first number is divisible by the second number:

(i) 3409122; 6

(ii) 17218; 6

(iii) 11309634; 8

(iv) 515712; 8

(v) 3501804; 4

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Zaza said:
Mod note: Moved from technical forum section, so missing the usual sections.

Hi am 16yo and i was unable to tackle this quiz even despite trying some online calculators. i hope someone can explain to me step by step. thanks
In each of the following numbers without doing actual division, determine whether the first number is divisible by the second number:

(i) 3409122; 6

(ii) 17218; 6

(iii) 11309634; 8

(iv) 515712; 8

(v) 3501804; 4
A number that is divisible by 2 will have its rightmost digit be even.
A number that is divisible by 4 will have its rightmost two digits be divisible by 4. For example, 1216 is divisible by 4, while 1217 is not.
A number that is divisible by 8 will have its rightmost three digits be divisible by 8. For example,, 124,032 is divisible by 8 (since 032 is divisible by 8), but 124,025 is not.
A number that is divisible by 3 has digits that add to a sum that is divisible by 3. For example the digits of 627 are 6, 2, and 7, which add to 15, which is divisible by 3. This implies that 627 is also divisible by 3.
A number that is even and divisible by 3 is also divisible by 6.

There are other rules, but these should suffice for the problems you posted. Your textbook or class notes should list the rules I showed.

In the future, please limit the number of questions asked in a single post to one or two only.

Likes berkeman
##1000 = 8 \times 125##, therefore, a number is divisible by ##8## iff its last three digits form a number divisible by ##8##.

##100 = 4 \times 25 \dots##

PeroK said:
##1000 = 8 \times 125##, therefore, a number is divisible by ##8## iff its last three digits form a number divisible by ##8##.

##100 = 4 \times 25 \dots##
These show the reasoning behind the rules I showed. The rules for divisibility by 3 and by 9 (which I didn't list) involve adding up the digits of the number in question.

You can use rules of divisibility by 2, by 3, then you can conclude divisivility by 6. The two rules are pretty straightforward. You can do similar for 4,8.

Divisibility by ##7## is the complicated one.

Thank you for helping

WWGD said:
You can use rules of divisibility by 2, by 3, then you can conclude divisivility by 6. The two rules are pretty straightforward. You can do similar for 4,8.
All of these were discussed in post #2.

1. How do I determine if a number is divisible by 6?

To determine if a number is divisible by 6, you can use the divisibility rule for 6, which states that a number is divisible by 6 if it is divisible by both 2 and 3. This means that the number must end in an even digit (0, 2, 4, 6, or 8) and the sum of its digits must be divisible by 3.

2. What is the divisibility rule for 8?

The divisibility rule for 8 states that a number is divisible by 8 if the last three digits of the number are divisible by 8. This means that the number must end in 000, 200, 400, 600, or 800.

3. Can I use the same method to determine if a number is divisible by 4?

Yes, the divisibility rule for 4 is similar to the rule for 8. A number is divisible by 4 if the last two digits of the number are divisible by 4. This means that the number must end in 00, 20, 40, 60, or 80.

4. What is the significance of knowing if a number is divisible by 6, 8, or 4?

Knowing if a number is divisible by 6, 8, or 4 can be useful in many mathematical and scientific calculations. It can also help in simplifying fractions and determining factors of a number.

5. Are there any other divisibility tests for numbers besides 6, 8, and 4?

Yes, there are divisibility tests for other numbers as well. For example, a number is divisible by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3, and a number is divisible by 9 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 9. There are also more complex rules for determining divisibility by larger numbers.