1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Divisible of natural numbers

1. Sep 11, 2005 #1
    Could Someone help with this question ?

What is the probability that a number of the set [itex]\Omega[/itex], first 120 natural numbers {1,2,3, ... , 120}, picked at random is not divisible by any of the number 3, 4, 6 but is divisible by 2 or 5 ?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To make this rgorous you wuld need a uniform probability measure on the natrual numbers. none such exists.

however, the next best thing is this: suppose that you pick at random with uniform prob from the set {1,..,N} what are the chances.

Notice the redundancy of your requirements: if a number is not divisible by 3 it is certainly not divisible by 6.

roughly 1/2 are divisible by 2, 1/5 by 5 and how many by both? now think about those that are not divisible be 3 and 4.

4. Sep 14, 2005 #3

Consider the events and [itex]\Omega[/itex] = {1,2,3, ..., 120}, natural numbers:
    A = {integers which are divisible by 3}, with P(A) = 1/3;
    B = {integers which are divisible by 4}, with P(B) = 1/4;
    C = {integers which are divisible by 6}, with P(C) = 1/6;
    D = {integers which are divisible by 2}, with P(D) = 1/2;
    E = {integers which are divisible by 5}, with P(E) = 1/5.

I need to find the probability of the set: [itex]A^cB^cC^c(D \cup E)[/itex].
    Let [itex]A^cB^cC^c(D \cup E)[/itex] = [itex](A^cB^cC^cD) \cup (A^cB^cC^cE)[/itex].

and

[itex](A^cB^cC^cD) \cap (A^cB^cC^cE) = (A^cB^cC^cDE) = DE - ABCDE.[/itex]

then

[itex]P(A^cB^cC^cDE)[/itex] = P(DE) - P(ABCDE) = 1/10 - 1/60 = 1/12.
    P(DE) = 1/10;
    P(ABCDE) = 1/60.

and

[itex]P(A^cB^cC^cD)[/itex] = P(D) - P(ABCD) = 1/2 - 1/12 = 5/12.
    [itex]P(A^cB^cC^cE)[/itex] = P(E) - P(ABCE) = 1/5 - 1/60 = 11/60.

=>

[itex](A^cB^cC^cD) \cup (A^cB^cC^cE)[/itex] = [itex]P(A^cB^cC^cD)[/itex] + [itex]P(A^cB^cC^cE)[/itex] - [itex]P(A^cB^cC^cDE)[/itex] = 5/12 + 11/60 - 1/12 = 31/60

However, the right answer is 14/60. I committed some error? Where I can have wrong

5. Sep 14, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haven't looked through your working but shouldn't you neglect the "not divisible by 6" condition ? If a number is not divisible by 3, it won't be divisible by 6. That is redundant.

Edit : just noticed this was already pointed out by matt.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  6. Sep 15, 2005 #5
    I didn't neglect the redundance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?