Division Algorithm: Proving 24 Does Not Divide a² - 1

In summary, in this conversation, the participants are discussing how to show that if a is an integer where 2 and 3 do not divide a, then 24 does not divide a squared minus 1. They consider different equations and patterns to prove this, ultimately concluding that if a is either 6k+1 or 6k+5, then a squared minus 1 can be written as a multiple of 24. They also address the importance of showing that certain expressions cannot be both odd, and that using (6k)^2-1 is not relevant to the hypothesis.
MAGICMATHS
1. My difficulty is to show that if a is an integer such that 2 does not divide a and 3 does not divide a then 24 does not divide a squared minus 1

2.Is there any equation which helps?

3. My idea is that it has to be an integer such that 6 does not divide a...therefore i have to show that 6a,6a+1,...6a+5 converted to asquared minus 1 are not divisible by 24...pls can anyone suggest if I am solving it correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, not "6a" because that would be divisible by both 2 and 3. And you don't mean "6a+ ...". If "2 does not divide a and 3 does not divide a" then either a= 6k+ 1 or a= 6k+ 5 for some integer k.

Now, if a=6k+ 1, [itex]a^2- 1= 36k^2+ 12k+1-1= 36k^2- 12k= 12k(3k- 1)[/itex]. That will be divisible by 3 if either k or 3k-1 is even- and it is easy to see that they can't both be odd.

If a= 6k+ 5, [itex]a^2-1= 36k^2+ 60k+ 25- 1= 36k^2+ 60k+ 24= 12(3k^2+ 5k+ 2)= 12(3k+ 2)(k+ 1)[/itex]. Now it is only necessary to show that 3k+2 and k+ 1 can't both be odd.

how can i explain that 6k is divisible by 6 when if i change it to asquared - 1 (pls refer to previous message) it becomes 36ksquared - 1...thats not easy to explain as divisible by 6!:(

The hypothesis is "a is an integer such that 2 does not divide a and 3 does not divide a" so [itex](6k)^2- 1[/itex] is not relevant.

1. What is the Division Algorithm?

The Division Algorithm is a mathematical process used to divide two numbers and find the quotient and remainder.

2. How does the Division Algorithm relate to proving 24 does not divide a² - 1?

The Division Algorithm can be used to prove that 24 does not divide a² - 1 by showing that the remainder when dividing a² - 1 by 24 is not 0.

3. What is the significance of proving 24 does not divide a² - 1?

Proving that 24 does not divide a² - 1 has several applications in number theory and algebra, such as determining the divisibility of other numbers and solving equations involving 24.

4. What is the process for proving 24 does not divide a² - 1 using the Division Algorithm?

The process involves dividing a² - 1 by 24 and showing that the remainder is not 0. This can be done by simplifying a² - 1 and then using the Division Algorithm to find the quotient and remainder.

5. Can the Division Algorithm be used to prove that any number does not divide a² - 1?

Yes, the Division Algorithm can be used to prove that any number other than 0 does not divide a² - 1. The process is the same as in the case of 24, where the remainder when dividing a² - 1 by the chosen number is not 0.