What is the relationship between two vectors in terms of rotation and scaling?

In summary, to find M such that given v and u, satisfies the equation v=Mu, you need to rotate u by the necessary angle and rescale by the quotient of their norms.
Jhenrique
I want find a value M such that given v and u, satisfies the equation v=Mu.

Well, the vector u has a modulus u and a direction α wrt x-axis; the vector v has another modulus v and another direction β wrt x-axis. What is happened is a change of magnitude and direction of the vector u, therefore, M needs scalar the vector u and change its direction, so that:

$$\\ M = \frac{v}{u} \begin{bmatrix}
\;\;\;\cos(\beta-\alpha) & -\sin(\beta-\alpha)\\
+\sin(\beta-\alpha) & \;\;\;\cos(\beta-\alpha)\\
\end{bmatrix}$$
So: $$\\ \frac{\vec{v}}{\vec{u}} = M$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, is this a question? Only it looks like the answer.

It's a question! I just followed the tamplate of the homework section, where is necessary to post a tentative.

The basic linear operations available in [itex]\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] are scaling, rotation, and shears.

There are infinitely many linear maps [itex]A \in \mathrm{M}_2(\mathbb{R})[/itex] such that [itex]\vec v = A\vec u[/itex]; to determine [itex]A[/itex] uniquely you also need to specify the image under [itex]A[/itex] of some vector which is linearly independent of [itex]\vec u[/itex].

For example, if [itex]\vec w \cdot \vec u = 0[/itex] then you can have [itex]A\vec w = 0[/itex] or [itex]A \vec w = \vec w[/itex] or [itex]A \vec w = \vec v[/itex] or [itex]A \vec w = \vec u[/itex] or ..., and in each case it will still be the case that [itex]A\vec u = \vec v[/itex]. This is why the notation [itex]\vec v / \vec u[/itex] doesn't make sense.

But my answer is valid too, correct?

No; the point was that if you have only a vector space structure, you cannot talk about division; you need at least a ring structure on your vectors. In a vector space alone, vectors cannot be divided.

But if I have a problem like v= Mu, where u and v are known but M not, my solution isn't valid?

Jhenrique said:
But if I have a problem like v= Mu, where u and v are known but M not, my solution isn't valid?

You have exhibited an [itex]M[/itex] such that [itex]\vec v = M\vec u[/itex]; the problem is that it isn't unique.

Jhenrique: It would be easier to answer your question if you specified what v,u,M are, and where they "live", i.e., are v,u elements in a vector space, ring, etc? Is M just any matrix, or there specific coefficients you are using, specific dimension, etc.

WWGD said:
Jhenrique: It would be easier to answer your question if you specified what v,u,M are, and where they "live", i.e., are v,u elements in a vector space, ring, etc? Is M just any matrix, or there specific coefficients you are using, specific dimension, etc.

2D, M is a tensor and u and v are vectors.

pasmith said:
You have exhibited an [itex]M[/itex] such that [itex]\vec v = M\vec u[/itex]; the problem is that it isn't unique.

The possible other answers will be just a change of basis. You still wants another answer better than formula in my first post?

Jhenrique said:

Division of vectors is not defined. And if it were, it sure isn't going to be a matrix.

Jhenrique said:
I want find a value M such that given v and u, satisfies the equation v=Mu.

Well, the vector u has a modulus u and a direction α wrt x-axis; the vector v has another modulus v and another direction β wrt x-axis. What is happened is a change of magnitude and direction of the vector u, therefore, M needs scalar the vector u and change its direction, so that:

$$\\ M = \frac{v}{u} \begin{bmatrix}
\;\;\;\cos(\beta-\alpha) & -\sin(\beta-\alpha)\\
+\sin(\beta-\alpha) & \;\;\;\cos(\beta-\alpha)\\
\end{bmatrix}$$

The way I understand this is that you have a rotation matrix M, and you're then rotating u, to get v. So , you can rotate the plane by the necessary angle , and then rescale by the quotient of the norms of u, v ( and Dupree ). Then, yes, given vectors u,v in the plane, you can always get u from v by a combination of rotation and scaling : rotate by the difference from their angles , and then rescale by the quotient of their norms.

1. What is the definition of division between vectors?

The division between vectors is a mathematical operation that involves dividing one vector by another. It is used to determine the magnitude and direction of the resulting vector.

2. How is division between vectors different from scalar division?

Division between vectors differs from scalar division in that it takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the vectors, while scalar division only considers the numerical values.

3. Can any two vectors be divided?

No, division between vectors is only defined for two vectors that are parallel or antiparallel. This means that they have the same or opposite direction, respectively.

4. What is the formula for division between vectors?

The formula for division between vectors is:
A/B = (A * B)/|B|^2
where A and B are the two vectors and |B| is the magnitude of vector B.

5. How is division between vectors used in real-world applications?

Division between vectors is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It can be used to determine the speed and direction of an object, the force acting on an object, and the displacement of an object in a given time period.