Understanding Division in Index Notation

In summary, the use of index notation can be confusing when it comes to divisions. If an index is not repeated on the same side of an equation, there is no summation involved. However, if an index is repeated, the expression can involve summation. Divisions don't often come up with vector quantities. Additionally, a = 1/b_{ii} and a_i = b_i/c_{jj} are valid expressions.
sinad
Hello everyone,

Recently I started to use index notation, but still the division is not clear for me. I'll mention just some simple examples that I'm not sure about:

Does [itex]a =\frac{1}{b_i}[/itex] mean that [itex]a = \sum_{i=1}^{3}\frac{1}{b_i}[/itex] or [itex]a = 1 / \sum_{i = 1}^{3}b_i[/itex] ?

Similarly, does [itex]a_i =\frac{b_i}{c_{jj}}[/itex] mean that [itex]a_i = \sum_{j=1}^{3}\frac{b_i}{c_{jj}}[/itex] or [itex]a = b_i / \sum_{j = 1}^{3}c_{jj}[/itex] ?

thanks beforehand!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Generally speaking, there is no summation involved if an index is not repeated on the same side of an equation. An index that is "free" (not repeated) should be free on both sides of the equation. Hence, [itex]a = 1/b_i[/itex] is a nonsensical expression.

[itex]a_i = b_i/c_{jj} = \sum_j b_i/c_{jj}[/itex] is fine, however. Divisions don't come up very often with vector quantities, though.

Muphrid said:
Generally speaking, there is no summation involved if an index is not repeated on the same side of an equation. An index that is "free" (not repeated) should be free on both sides of the equation. Hence, [itex]a = 1/b_i[/itex] is a nonsensical expression.

Indeed, I'm sorry, what I wanted to write is [itex]a = 1/b_{ii}[/itex]

Muphrid said:
[itex]a_i = b_i/c_{jj} = \sum_j b_i/c_{jj}[/itex] is fine

thanks! it is clear now.

1. What is index notation in division?

Index notation is a mathematical notation used to represent numbers in the form of a power of a base number. In division, the index is the number that represents the power or exponent of the divisor.

2. How do you divide using index notation?

To divide using index notation, you first need to convert the numbers into index form. Then, subtract the indices of the divisor from the indices of the dividend. Finally, simplify the resulting index form to get the quotient.

3. Why is index notation used in division?

Index notation is used in division because it provides a more compact and efficient way of representing numbers with large or small values. It also makes it easier to perform operations like division, multiplication, and exponentiation.

4. What are the rules for division using index notation?

The rules for division using index notation are as follows:

• When dividing powers with the same base, subtract the exponents.
  • When dividing powers with different bases, convert them to the same base before subtracting the exponents.
  • A negative index indicates a fraction or reciprocal of the number.
  • Any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1.

5. Can you divide using index notation with decimals?

Yes, you can divide using index notation with decimals. Simply convert the decimal numbers into index form by moving the decimal point to the right until you get a whole number, and use the same rules as dividing whole numbers.