Child Marriage in Saudi Arabia: A Disheartening Norm

• Thread starter waht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Norm
In summary, the conversation discusses the prevalence of child marriage in various countries, including Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia, West Africa, Bangladesh, and India. The practice is often driven by poverty and societal norms, and can have severe consequences for young girls, including being forced into prostitution and early pregnancies. Despite efforts to ban child marriage, it continues to be a widespread issue across the world.
waht
I thought that Jerry Springer shows was the tip of it all, but I guess this is the norm over there:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_saudi_child_marriage

CAIRO – An 8-year-old Saudi girl has divorced her middle-aged husband after her father forced her to marry him last year in exchange for about $13,000, her lawyer said

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting map

To me that's is more a map of where the survey was conducted than of the actual marriage percentage.

neu said:
To me that's is more a map of where the survey was conducted than of the actual marriage percentage.

It's a child marriage map, so yeah, it's more useful than you think.

I'd just like to point out, that while it is true India does have a high child marriage rate, and it is a big problem in the village areas, the ages are around 16-17. Now that is still a bad situation, and those women are not given a chance at education, etc... But anything below the age of 15 or 14 is just unheard of around there.

I find it hard to believe that 8 years old could be the "norm" anywhere.

WhoWee said:
I find it hard to believe that 8 years old could be the "norm" anywhere.

Actually, it's 7:

# In Ethiopia and some areas of West Africa, some girls get married as early as age 7. 6
# In Bangladesh, 45 per cent of young women between 25 and 29 were married by age 15. 7
# A 1998 survey in the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh found that nearly 14 per cent of girls were married between the ages of l0 and 14. 8

I know for sure that it still pretty common to marry children around 8 or set their marriage around or below that age.

I could not find any reason why would they do that other than that
1) boys are preferred
2) girls can't do heavy work (support family)
So, people see girls as burdens and try to send them out as soon as possible. I remember thinking about why poor even have children if they are hardly living by themselves... If I am thinking right, those people don't seem to have anything better other than marrying their female children asap. At least, it is better than female infanticide .

That's not a child marriage map. It include young women of 19 yrs of age.

A good map, would be a premenstral map.

TEEN PREGNANCY in WEST and CHILD MARRIAGE IN EAST! Same problem deferent name, don't you think ? Which one is better?

I_am_no1 said:
TEEN PREGNANCY in WEST and CHILD MARRIAGE IN EAST! Same problem deferent name, don't you think ? Which one is better?

Which one is involuntarily?
Do you seriously need to think if 8 yrs old with middle aged man is worse or 8 yrs old with another 8-around?

rootX said:
Do you seriously need to think if 8 yrs old with middle aged man is worse or 8 yrs old with another 8-around?

Dear bro! Things are n0t like that easy what are you thinking ! As i live in a 3rd worlds country so i know !
For example if that girl's parent is very poor and not capable to bear her mouth what they should do with that 8 yr old child ? Let her die deprive of food ? Or its better to give her a marriage with anyone who can maintain ? 'At least the life of their daughter got safe' (though its not safe at all) they are happy ! The second choice they have is to send her child to PROSTITUTION!
And govt what they will do ? How they will maintain this vast population (1025 head per sq km - Bangladesh) with this lil communt of wealth ? Yes govt have banned child marriage ! Though UNFPA's statistics telles us 60 - 69 % cases child marriage happens, i can't believe it fully obviously i have some cause!

rootX said:

I'd argue that we have it backwards in America.

11 marriages out of 1,000 marriages (around 1 marriage out of 100 marriages) ends up to divorce
http://www.divorcerate.org/divorce-rate-in-india.html

I_am_no1 said:
Dear bro! Things are n0t like that easy what are you thinking ! As i live in a 3rd worlds country so i know !
For example if that girl's parent is very poor and not capable to bear her mouth what they should do with that 8 yr old child ? Let her die deprive of food ? Or its better to give her a marriage with anyone who can maintain ? 'At least the life of their daughter got safe' (though its not safe at all) they are happy ! The second choice they have is to send her child to PROSTITUTION!
And govt what they will do ? How they will maintain this vast population (1025 head per sq km - Bangladesh) with this lil communt of wealth ? Yes govt have banned child marriage ! Though UNFPA's statistics telles us 60 - 69 % cases child marriage happens, i can't believe it fully obviously i have some cause!

India is a very prosperous country. Don't kid yourself.

I_am_no1 said:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=294346

Wax said:
India is a very prosperous country. Don't kid yourself.

though i aint talking about INDIA! India is richer! . . . 50 % child marriage happen in India its almost 60-70% child marriage of the world! And the rate of killing fetus after identifying female child is very very high . . . And the thing i don't like about INDIA is discrimintion between CITY AND RURAL AREAS ! big city like MUMBY is highly developed on the other hand they have some rural areas which is still under poverty level althoug they are developing which i apprecite!

rootX said:

Again ! What will make this sense in them ? They are illiterate! (according to BANGLADESHI govt 45% is literate but i don't think so it crossed 35%) They don't familiar with BIRTH CONTROL and also have sm religious misconception superstitions blah blah blah which stops them taking steps against birth control! And if you study about the increasing of population then you can get some idea the rate is decreasing but already they have a lot !

1. What is the legal age for marriage in Saudi Arabia?

The legal age for marriage in Saudi Arabia is 18 years old for both males and females. However, there is a provision that allows girls as young as 15 years old to marry with the permission of their guardian and a court order.

2. Why is child marriage still a prevalent practice in Saudi Arabia?

Child marriage is deeply ingrained in Saudi Arabian culture and traditions. It is seen as a way to protect a girl's honor and maintain family honor. Additionally, some families may see it as a way to secure their daughter's future and alleviate financial burdens.

3. How does child marriage impact the physical and mental health of young girls?

Child marriage can have severe physical and mental health consequences for young girls. They are at a higher risk of pregnancy complications, including maternal mortality. They are also more likely to experience domestic violence, depression, and anxiety due to being forced into a marriage at a young age.

4. What are the efforts being made to address child marriage in Saudi Arabia?

The Saudi Arabian government has taken steps to address child marriage, including raising the legal age of marriage to 18 and implementing stricter penalties for those who facilitate child marriages. Non-governmental organizations and international organizations are also working to raise awareness and provide support for girls at risk of or affected by child marriage.

5. How can I help in the fight against child marriage in Saudi Arabia?

You can support organizations that work to prevent child marriage and support girls who have been affected by it. You can also educate yourself and others about the harmful effects of child marriage and advocate for stricter laws and policies to protect young girls. Additionally, you can support girls' education and empowerment initiatives, which are crucial in preventing child marriage.