DIY Aquarium Tank Rack Shelving Stand

In summary, a new Forum member is trying to build a tank rack to hold three tanks of varying sizes. He plans to use structural pine for the columns, shelves, and foam; and use 45 degree bracing at the rear, sides, and bottom of the rack.
Bucks2
G'day Forum Members,

I'm new to the forum I hope to get some great advice here for my projects!

I have a slow progress DIY tank rack project going on:

short story I bought a cheap steel shelving system which won't cut it for the project, so I'm going to build a timber setup which will be a lot stronger,
and allow me to mount piping and equipment directly to the stand as I please

The rack will hold 3 four foot (52gal) tanks 6mm glass thickness - dims = LxWxH 1220 x 355 x 457mm (48 x 14 x 18inch) complete weight per tank =approx 271kg (597lbs)
Slimline sumps will be added behind each tank - dims = LxWxH 1137 x 120 x 457mm (45 x 4 x 18inch) complete weight per sump =approx 78kg (172lbs)

I have chosen to use structural pine 90 x 35mm for the 4 upright columns and 70 x 35mm for the beams and bracing
column force = mg = total weight of tanks x gravity = force in N = (271*3) + (78*3)= 813+234 =1047*9.81m/s =10,272N

The shelves will be connected to the columns using dato joints which will remove relying on nails/screws holding the load alone

Each tank will sit on 10mm foam which will sit on 9mm marine plywood on the shelf

My brother has a plethora of woodworking equipment so I have access to industrial nail guns, drop saw etc,
My house is full concrete flooring so no issues there
House walls are double brick so I can brace it to the wall using dynabolts if absolutely necessary, would like to avoid if possible

The shelves span 1230mm across
the height of the stand will be 2100mm
the service gap above each tank is tentative however I find 180mm to be enough

I have created a sketchup design of the rack, attached

I want to know how to reinforce each shelf to avoid using a support column in the middle of each shelf?
I am unable to find horizontal stress calculations of timber online, I may be searching the wrong term

My thoughts are to use 45 degree bracing at the rear of the racking and on the sides with the force pushing to the rear of the stand,
and using a staggered pattern of cross beams underneath each shelf

Let me know what measurements your prefer to quote and what sketches you want to see

Your help is very much appreciated,

Thanks,

Attachments

• TANK STAND 3.0_FRONT.jpg
    TANK STAND 3.0_FRONT.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 4,313
  • TANK STAND 3.0_SIDE.jpg
    TANK STAND 3.0_SIDE.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,894
  • TANK STAND 3.0_REAR.jpg
    TANK STAND 3.0_REAR.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,067
  • TANK STAND 3.0_SKELETON.jpg
    TANK STAND 3.0_SKELETON.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,773
Physics news on Phys.org
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Sorry, this thread will remain closed. It is too dangerous for you to be asking for DIY help in building something so heavy, and which could cause injury if it fails. It would be best to just use commercially-available aquarium stands for this, or consult a local licensed Professional Engineer to help you.

1. What materials do I need to build a DIY aquarium tank rack shelving stand?

To build a DIY aquarium tank rack shelving stand, you will need wood or metal boards for the frame, screws or nails, a drill, a saw, measuring tape, level, and a pencil. You may also need additional tools or materials depending on the design and size of your rack.

2. How much weight can a DIY aquarium tank rack shelving stand hold?

The weight capacity of a DIY aquarium tank rack shelving stand will depend on the materials and design used. It is important to make sure the stand is sturdy and can support the weight of the tanks and water. It is recommended to consult weight capacity charts for the materials used and evenly distribute the weight of the tanks on the shelves.

3. Can I customize the size and design of a DIY aquarium tank rack shelving stand?

Yes, you can customize the size and design of a DIY aquarium tank rack shelving stand to fit your specific needs and space. However, it is important to ensure the stand is still sturdy and can support the weight of the tanks and water.

4. Do I need to reinforce the shelves of a DIY aquarium tank rack shelving stand?

Depending on the weight of the tanks and water, it may be necessary to reinforce the shelves of a DIY aquarium tank rack shelving stand. This can be done by adding additional support beams, using thicker wood boards, or adding metal brackets for extra stability.

5. Can I use a DIY aquarium tank rack shelving stand for different sized tanks?

Yes, a DIY aquarium tank rack shelving stand can be used for tanks of different sizes. However, it is important to make sure the stand is strong enough to support the weight of the largest tank and evenly distribute the weight on the shelves to avoid any potential collapses.