Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DIY battery pack capacity

1. Oct 2, 2016 #1
    Hi,

I am a university student in the Netherlands and I just got the assignment of building a robot on a budget. Because of this budget I would like to make the battery pack that powers the 2 servo motors and 2 electric motors myself.

I did some research and found out it would be best to connect multiple AA Alkaline (1.5 V 2700 mAh) batteries. I know my basic physics as the current will stay the same and voltage adds up, though what about the capacity? I understand how this battery works but now my question was if I connect for example two batteries do I get a battery pack that can deliver 3.0 V with 5400 mAh, or just the 3.0 V with again a capacity of 2700 mAh.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Think about it ... a little bit more and you will have answered your own question.:rolleyes::wink:

4. Oct 2, 2016 #3
    You sound like my physics tutors haha! I calculated the amount of Watts and think it is silly to assume that both the capacity and the voltage gets doubled. So from this I will assume that the battery pack would have a 8.1 W output with the 3.0 V and 2700 mAh!

Thanks

5. Oct 2, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ta-da.

6. Oct 2, 2016 #5

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

See ? You new all along !

7. Oct 4, 2016 #6
    That's a pretty common source of confusion. Charge capacity in terms of Amp-hours does not change with the number of series cells, but energy capacity in terms of Watt-hours multiplies with the number of series cells. For a load that consumes a constant amount of power run time will double, for an ohmic load where power consumption goes up with voltage run time will not increase.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted