Can a Cathode Ray Tube be Used to Build a DIY Mass Spectrometer?

In summary, if you have a vacuum pump and know how to connect it to a CRT, you can build your own mass spectrometer. However, this is an extremely expensive and dangerous project.
thegeekguy
I'm wondering if it would be plausible to use a cathode ray tube (crt) style monitor to build my own mass spectrometer. Unfortunately, commercial models are prohibitively expensive, but if I had plans or at least a good idea of how to build one, I have the nagging feeling I could.
My idea is as follows:
The tube's electron gun would ionize the gas being analyzed
The ions would be pulled toward the anode at the front of the tube, and be deflected by one of the two deflection coils normally used for positioning the electron beam. The ions would hit the phosphor, where a photomultiplier would be positioned on the other side, connected to an oscilloscope. The deflection coil would be energized with a sawtooth wave to deflect the ions across the photomultiplier and send a repeating waveform graph of the ions mass from the photomultiplier to the oscilloscope where the substance's mass spec could be read.
This is of course assuming I could generate sufficient vacuum.
I'm wondering if the premise of this even makes sense. I have only a cursory knowledge of chemistry and physics, I'm still only at the high school level, so please forgive me if this is utter nonsense.
-Mark M

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Mark,
I fear there´s only the Radio Yerevan answer: In principle yes, but ...
a few hints:
- the vacuum system alone will probably exceed your budget
- you need openings for to attach the vacuum system and an inlet for your samples. Cutting the glass of a CRT is not so easy, and then you need to attach flanges or so to it ...
- the magnetic field you can generate with the coils in a CRT is far to low

So sorry, no.

Maybe you can find a more realistic project
maimonides

Last edited:
I have access to a vacuum pump, so I was planning on removing the electron gun and high voltage supply completely, and mount them inside of a thick walled pipe that could take the stress of a vacuum without failing, to avoid many of the glass and air tightness woes. As for the magnet and phosphor, I have found a photomultiplier tube with a phosphor already deposited on its surface. I also could build a powerful electromagnet to steer the beam. I'm not terribly worried about the mechanical issues of the spectrometer, I just haven't seen anything that goes into great depth as far as theory. I was wondering if my assumptions were correct. Does anyone know of anyplace I could find specifics about how these work? I understand about accelerating the ions toward the detector, but how powerful would the magnet need to be? And how high of a vacuum?
-Thanks!

thegeekguy said:
I have access to a vacuum pump

What kind of vacuum pump? What maimonides is alluding to, is that an ordinary vacuum pump isn't good enough.
For the high vacuums required for MS, you need a turbomolecular pump.

I believe it is turbo-molecular. It is used for an electron microscope in a physics lab, so I believe it is sufficient.

thegeekguy said:
I believe it is turbo-molecular. It is used for an electron microscope in a physics lab, so I believe it is sufficient.

If you knew what you were doing, you'd know whether it was or not. Not all electron microscopes use them. Also, who in their right mind would let a high school student utilize a very delicate pump that costs thousands of dollars for his DIY project?

To be honest, this whole proposal is insane, unrealistic and (if you'd actually go so far as trying) quite dangerous.

I remember reading an article in an old amateur science magazine about someone actually doing this. I recall they were able to see that potassium salts are composed of two isotopes due to two different amounts of deflection.

I seem to recall this was from a CD full of old articles from either Popular Science or Scientific American magazine. The article in the question was from the 1950s I believe. You might browse online and see if you can find this collection. I seem to remember someone buying the CD but I don't remember where.

hodges

1. What is a DIY CRT mass spectrometer?

A DIY CRT mass spectrometer is a type of scientific instrument that is used to identify and quantify the chemical composition of a sample. It works by ionizing molecules in the sample, separating them based on their mass-to-charge ratio, and then detecting and measuring the ions produced.

2. How does a DIY CRT mass spectrometer work?

A DIY CRT mass spectrometer consists of three main parts: an ionization source, a mass analyzer, and a detector. The sample is first ionized by either electron impact or electrospray ionization. The ions are then separated based on their mass-to-charge ratio using a magnetic or electric field. Finally, the ions are detected and measured to determine their abundance.

3. What are the advantages of building a DIY CRT mass spectrometer?

Building a DIY CRT mass spectrometer allows for customization and cost savings compared to purchasing a commercial instrument. It also provides a hands-on learning experience and the ability to troubleshoot and modify the instrument as needed.

4. What are the potential applications of a DIY CRT mass spectrometer?

A DIY CRT mass spectrometer can be used for a variety of applications, including environmental analysis, forensic science, drug testing, and protein identification. It is commonly used in research laboratories and academic settings.

5. Is building a DIY CRT mass spectrometer difficult?

Building a DIY CRT mass spectrometer requires a basic understanding of electronics and vacuum technology. It also involves sourcing and assembling various components, as well as troubleshooting any potential issues. However, with proper research and guidance, it can be a rewarding and achievable project for many scientists.