Electrical DIY electromagnet

• Thread starter stephenkohnle53
  • Start date
S

stephenkohnle53

I want to make an electromagnet that can carry me or buy one. I weigh 128 pounds (58kg) and I found an electromagnet with a pull force of 178 pounds (80kg).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EWHSF3K/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Can I attach any 12v source to power it or does it need a specific amperage. And could I make a electromagnet from scratch that could do that, and if so how. If I made one myself I would definitely only use it a couple feet off the ground so if I fall I wouldn't be hurt. But if I bought one Id go up 10 feet since it should be more reliable and I would wear protection. And could I get both for a combined total of $80- $120
Also if I cant safely do any of this I would like to know how so I can make a weaker magnet for lifting something else

berkeman

Mentor
I want to make an electromagnet that can carry me or buy one. I weigh 128 pounds (58kg) and I found an electromagnet with a pull force of 178 pounds (80kg).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EWHSF3K/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Can I attach any 12v source to power it or does it need a specific amperage. And could I make a electromagnet from scratch that could do that, and if so how. If I made one myself I would definitely only use it a couple feet off the ground so if I fall I wouldn't be hurt. But if I bought one Id go up 10 feet since it should be more reliable and I would wear protection. And could I get both for a combined total of $80- $120
Also if I cant safely do any of this I would like to know how so I can make a weaker magnet for lifting something else
You do understand that the weight listed for that magnet is the Holding Force, right? That means it will stay stuck to a thick ferrous surface with about that amount of weight pulling on it, not that it will attract to a thick ferrous surface from some distance away with that force.

I didn't see a resistance or current listed at 12V for that magnet. Do you see it in the specs anywhere?

And are you familiar with mechanical release magnets? That would be an alternative to using an electromagnet.

Finally, do you understand how a non-static load would affect the required Holding Force for such a magnet? If you move at all while being held up, the magnet will have to be significantly stronger than just your static weight.

J

JRMichler

Everything berkeman said, plus be aware that the magnet will only hold its rated force when pulling on a smooth, flat surface. And when the load is exactly centered on the magnet. You should experiment with a weaker magnet and smaller loads before lifting yourself. That way your learning experience can be painless.

A good source of electromagnets, with voltage and current requirements, is McMaster-Carr: www.mcmaster.com.

S

stephenkohnle53

BTW I do know that static forces change if I move and the rated force of a magnet is different than it may function under certain conditions. BTW the magnet mentioned above me is $243 on amazon, it looks good but I doubt I can afford that. Christmas is coming so my budget is a bit varied so it can sometimes go that high. If i got that magnet I would need two so I can hang with one hand then lift with another so I cant get that. However, hypothetically what rated force do you guys think I would need at my weight assuming I am climbing a steel beam, I will be back at 1:00 to talk more

berkeman

Mentor
BTW I do know that static forces change if I move and the rated force of a magnet is different than it may function under certain conditions. BTW the magnet mentioned above me is $243 on amazon, it looks good but I doubt I can afford that. Christmas is coming so my budget is a bit varied so it can sometimes go that high. If i got that magnet I would need two so I can hang with one hand then lift with another so I cant get that. However, hypothetically what rated force do you guys think I would need at my weight assuming I am climbing a steel beam, I will be back at 1:00 to talk more
I'm not sure we can help you with steel beam climbing on the PF. Sounds a bit dangerous. Maybe climb a ladder instead? :wink:

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads