DIY Electromagnet: How to Make or Buy One for Lifting Up to 178 Pounds

In summary, the individual is interested in making or buying an electromagnet that can carry their weight of 128 pounds (58kg). They have found an electromagnet with a pull force of 178 pounds (80kg) and are asking if they can attach any 12v source to power it or if it needs a specific amperage. They also ask if they can make an electromagnet from scratch and if so, how. They mention wearing protection and using the magnet only a few feet off the ground to avoid injury. They also ask about the possibility of purchasing both an electromagnet and mechanical release magnet for a combined total of $80-$120. They are also concerned about the effect of a non-static load on the required holding
stephenkohnle53
I want to make an electromagnet that can carry me or buy one. I weigh 128 pounds (58kg) and I found an electromagnet with a pull force of 178 pounds (80kg).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EWHSF3K/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Can I attach any 12v source to power it or does it need a specific amperage. And could I make a electromagnet from scratch that could do that, and if so how. If I made one myself I would definitely only use it a couple feet off the ground so if I fall I wouldn't be hurt. But if I bought one Id go up 10 feet since it should be more reliable and I would wear protection. And could I get both for a combined total of $80- $120
Also if I can't safely do any of this I would like to know how so I can make a weaker magnet for lifting something else

Physics news on Phys.org
stephenkohnle53 said:
I want to make an electromagnet that can carry me or buy one. I weigh 128 pounds (58kg) and I found an electromagnet with a pull force of 178 pounds (80kg).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EWHSF3K/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Can I attach any 12v source to power it or does it need a specific amperage. And could I make a electromagnet from scratch that could do that, and if so how. If I made one myself I would definitely only use it a couple feet off the ground so if I fall I wouldn't be hurt. But if I bought one Id go up 10 feet since it should be more reliable and I would wear protection. And could I get both for a combined total of $80- $120
Also if I can't safely do any of this I would like to know how so I can make a weaker magnet for lifting something else
You do understand that the weight listed for that magnet is the Holding Force, right? That means it will stay stuck to a thick ferrous surface with about that amount of weight pulling on it, not that it will attract to a thick ferrous surface from some distance away with that force.

I didn't see a resistance or current listed at 12V for that magnet. Do you see it in the specs anywhere?

And are you familiar with mechanical release magnets? That would be an alternative to using an electromagnet.

Finally, do you understand how a non-static load would affect the required Holding Force for such a magnet? If you move at all while being held up, the magnet will have to be significantly stronger than just your static weight.

Likes JRMichler
Everything berkeman said, plus be aware that the magnet will only hold its rated force when pulling on a smooth, flat surface. And when the load is exactly centered on the magnet. You should experiment with a weaker magnet and smaller loads before lifting yourself. That way your learning experience can be painless.

A good source of electromagnets, with voltage and current requirements, is McMaster-Carr: www.mcmaster.com.

Likes berkeman
This is the type of manual-release lifting magnet I had in mind, BTW. I'm not sure how much they cost:

https://www.magnetics.com/products/mg/PowerLift_PNL0250.jpg
PowerLift_PNL0250.jpg

Attachments

• PowerLift_PNL0250.jpg
    PowerLift_PNL0250.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 721
BTW I do know that static forces change if I move and the rated force of a magnet is different than it may function under certain conditions. BTW the magnet mentioned above me is $243 on amazon, it looks good but I doubt I can afford that. Christmas is coming so my budget is a bit varied so it can sometimes go that high. If i got that magnet I would need two so I can hang with one hand then lift with another so I can't get that. However, hypothetically what rated force do you guys think I would need at my weight assuming I am climbing a steel beam, I will be back at 1:00 to talk more

stephenkohnle53 said:
BTW I do know that static forces change if I move and the rated force of a magnet is different than it may function under certain conditions. BTW the magnet mentioned above me is $243 on amazon, it looks good but I doubt I can afford that. Christmas is coming so my budget is a bit varied so it can sometimes go that high. If i got that magnet I would need two so I can hang with one hand then lift with another so I can't get that. However, hypothetically what rated force do you guys think I would need at my weight assuming I am climbing a steel beam, I will be back at 1:00 to talk more
I'm not sure we can help you with steel beam climbing on the PF. Sounds a bit dangerous. Maybe climb a ladder instead? :wink:

Likes jim hardy

1. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using an electrical current to create a magnetic field. When an electrical current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. By coiling the wire into a solenoid and passing a current through it, the magnetic field becomes stronger and can be used to attract magnetic materials.

2. What materials are needed to make an electromagnet?

To make an electromagnet, you will need a power source, such as a battery, wire, and a ferromagnetic core, such as iron or steel. You may also need a switch and a way to secure the wire, such as tape or a nail.

3. How much weight can an electromagnet lift?

The lifting capacity of an electromagnet depends on the strength of the magnetic field, which is determined by the amount of current flowing through the wire and the number of turns in the coil. With the right materials and power source, an electromagnet can lift up to 178 pounds.

4. Can I buy an electromagnet instead of making one?

Yes, you can purchase pre-made electromagnets from various suppliers. However, they may not have the specific lifting capacity or size that you require, and they can be more expensive than making one yourself.

5. Are there any safety precautions to keep in mind when working with electromagnets?

Yes, it is important to be cautious when working with electromagnets as they can produce a strong magnetic field. Avoid touching the magnet while it is powered, and be careful when handling magnetic materials. It is also important to use a power source that is appropriate for the size and strength of the electromagnet to avoid overheating or other hazards.