Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DIY Fiber Optic

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    Hello. I know how to realize an homemade fiber optic using some food jelly. Are there other materials, at amateur grade; to replace jelly ? ( NB this item has to be used in high vacuum, and jelly is not convenient for this use)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2013 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Is this to work in the visible?

You could try a transparent epoxy from a hardware store.

Claude.

P.S. I'm interested in how you make fibre optics with jelly. Do you extrude the jelly through a hole or use a cast of some sort?

4. Apr 12, 2013 #3
    Thanks for reply. Yes I'm working in invisible area. To use jelly it is possible to introduce it in a cast, but it's just for educational application not really serious for lab. Sorry for the attached doc, it's in French ...

Attached Files:

5. Apr 12, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can buy plastic fibre quite cheaply. Try ebay?

6. Apr 12, 2013 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Materials like epoxies, etc., will outgas in a high vacuum. Even standard FO cables may outgas too much for high vacuum work. Can you just use line-of-sight optics and mirrors? Can you say more about your setup?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook