1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DIY Fiber Optic

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    Hello. I know how to realize an homemade fiber optic using some food jelly. Are there other materials, at amateur grade; to replace jelly ? ( NB this item has to be used in high vacuum, and jelly is not convenient for this use)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2013 #2

Claude Bile

Science Advisor

Is this to work in the visible?

You could try a transparent epoxy from a hardware store.

Claude.

P.S. I'm interested in how you make fibre optics with jelly. Do you extrude the jelly through a hole or use a cast of some sort?

4. Apr 12, 2013 #3
    Thanks for reply. Yes I'm working in invisible area. To use jelly it is possible to introduce it in a cast, but it's just for educational application not really serious for lab. Sorry for the attached doc, it's in French ...

Attached Files:

5. Apr 12, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can buy plastic fibre quite cheaply. Try ebay?

6. Apr 12, 2013 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Materials like epoxies, etc., will outgas in a high vacuum. Even standard FO cables may outgas too much for high vacuum work. Can you just use line-of-sight optics and mirrors? Can you say more about your setup?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook