1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DIY Foundry

1. Nov 19, 2004 #1
    Hi everyone. I would like to build my own foundry, if possible to melt iron. From all the research that I have done, I can see that almost everyone opts to melt aluminum, even when it comes to building a metal lathe. The reason why I would like to melt iron/steel is that I am also wanting to build a bending brake capable of bending 5mm thick mild steel plate and I need to cast the jaws. Brass is expensive but maybe it is cheaper than building an iron foundry. What metal would you suggest?

Currently I am considering building a tilting furnace with a oxy-acetylene burner. :devil: Am I being stupid? The other option is a coke-burning cuppola. The reason why I am considering a tilting furnace is because I don't think one should waste expensive gas to heat a crucible. To quote a fellow DIY'er: "If primitive man could do it in primitive times then primitive man can d it in modern times" Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2004 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have a read of Steve Chastain's books, - Oil Fired Tilting Furnace and Iron Melting Cupola Furnaces,

ISBN 0-9702203-0-8 Coupla
    ISBN 0-9702203-1-6 Tilting

I'm sure they'll tell you more than anyone here can! Although building your bending machine seems like enough of a project, you definitely don't just wanna outsource your forged parts?!

4. Nov 21, 2004 #3
    Cheers!! Actually I have reworked the design and it now takes fabricated parts. Took a lot of thinking!! Yeah, I guess the books are the way to go. Keep well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?