Building a Iron/Steel Foundry: Primitive or Modern?

In summary, the speaker is interested in building their own foundry to melt iron. They have researched and found that most people use aluminum for melting, even for building a metal lathe. However, they need to melt iron/steel to cast the jaws for a bending brake. They are considering building a tilting furnace with an oxy-acetylene burner or a coke-burning cupola. They have also mentioned two books by Steve Chastain that may have more information on building a foundry. They have also reworked their design for the bending machine to use fabricated parts instead of forged ones.
Evil Knievel
Hi everyone. I would like to build my own foundry, if possible to melt iron. From all the research that I have done, I can see that almost everyone opts to melt aluminum, even when it comes to building a metal lathe. The reason why I would like to melt iron/steel is that I am also wanting to build a bending brake capable of bending 5mm thick mild steel plate and I need to cast the jaws. Brass is expensive but maybe it is cheaper than building an iron foundry. What metal would you suggest?

Currently I am considering building a tilting furnace with a oxy-acetylene burner. :devil: Am I being stupid? The other option is a coke-burning cuppola. The reason why I am considering a tilting furnace is because I don't think one should waste expensive gas to heat a crucible. To quote a fellow DIY'er: "If primitive man could do it in primitive times then primitive man can d it in modern times" Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a read of Steve Chastain's books, - Oil Fired Tilting Furnace and Iron Melting Cupola Furnaces,

ISBN 0-9702203-0-8 Coupla
ISBN 0-9702203-1-6 Tilting

I'm sure they'll tell you more than anyone here can! Although building your bending machine seems like enough of a project, you definitely don't just want to outsource your forged parts?!

Cheers! Actually I have reworked the design and it now takes fabricated parts. Took a lot of thinking! Yeah, I guess the books are the way to go. Keep well.

1. What is the difference between a primitive and modern iron/steel foundry?

A primitive iron/steel foundry refers to the traditional methods of smelting and casting iron/steel, which involves using natural materials such as clay, charcoal, and bellows. A modern foundry, on the other hand, utilizes advanced technology and machinery to melt and shape iron/steel.

2. What are the advantages of using a modern foundry over a primitive one?

Modern foundries offer numerous advantages over primitive ones, including higher efficiency and productivity, better quality control, and the ability to produce a wider range of alloys. They also require less labor and are more environmentally friendly.

3. What materials are needed to build a primitive iron/steel foundry?

A primitive iron/steel foundry requires clay, sand, charcoal, and a source of air, such as bellows. These materials are used to construct the furnace and create the necessary heat and oxygen for smelting.

4. How does the process of smelting and casting iron/steel differ between primitive and modern foundries?

In a primitive foundry, the iron/steel is heated using charcoal and oxygen from bellows until it melts and can be poured into a mold. In a modern foundry, the iron/steel is melted using electric or gas furnaces and then poured into molds using advanced machinery.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when building and operating a foundry?

Building and operating a foundry can be dangerous, so it is important to take proper safety precautions. This includes wearing protective gear, such as heat-resistant clothing and gloves, having a fire extinguisher nearby, and ensuring proper ventilation to avoid inhaling harmful fumes. It is also important to have a clear understanding of the process and to follow all safety protocols.