Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DIY moon probe possible?

1. Jan 13, 2014 #1
    With a small budget would it be possible to make a rocket capable of delivering a small probe to the moon?

A rocket that puts the probe into earth orbit and them Hoffman transfer to the moon and guides itself to the surface?

I am talking very small, maybe the size of a baseball, that transmits back to earth and uses a pre-programmed landing routine with smallish thrusters.

Would it be possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2014 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If by a small budget you mean only fifty million dollars or so, then yes, it's possible. That is an incredibly small figure. None of the serious contenders in the Google Lunar X Prize contest expect the $30 million award (if they win it) to offset the costs. If your definition of small is less than a million, then no, it's not possible.

4. Jan 13, 2014 #3
    But what about a ballon that takes a rocket up to a very high altitude and then fires the rocket away from earth?

Should be less than $10k

5. Jan 13, 2014 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The rocket will go up a little bit, and then fall back to Earth. Quiz question -- why?

6. Jan 13, 2014 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

7. Jan 13, 2014 #6
    You might investigate the minimum it would take to get, say 1 kg into Earth orbit before you worry about going to the Moon.

I did this a few years ago and came up with a 4-stage liquid fueled rocket weighing 3300 kg, about 11 m long, with a first stage thrust of about 40000 newtons. Non-trivial.

8. Jan 13, 2014 #7

cjl

Honestly, for $10k, you'd be hard pressed to even design a sounding rocket that could make it into space (>100km altitude). Orbit is significantly harder, and a lunar trajectory is harder still. I would expect any viable attempt to cost tens to hundreds of millions of dollars, even with a pretty small payload.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook