DIY Nanotech?

• Misc.
  • Thread starter s09
  • Start date
s09
Anyone? Anything? Even if I'm making little smiley faces on graphite? I'd love to make something that's more complex using steel, even if I have to stitch it together atom by atom.

Answers and Replies

The most important thing is a steady hand and good eyesight.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
And not being allergic to epoxy resins and latex.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Get in your car. Turn on the engine. Well done, you have now created a raft of different nanoparticles.

s09
*sigh*

Ok, so, I take it that this is simply beyond the abilities available for most people without millions of dollars and a lab? If that is the case, just say so.

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
*sigh*

Ok, so, I take it that this is simply beyond the abilities available for most people without millions of dollars and a lab? If that is the case, just say so.
The study of nanotechnology is a hugely diverse field. Regarding your specific question about drawing on graphene; no you cannot do that at home. You would need something like an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_force_microscopy" [Broken]. There are probably experiments you can do at home to create things like nanoparticles, nanofilms or to nanoengineer a surface but these would be similar to home chemistry experiments and judging by your original post you have something far more advanced in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Last edited by a moderator: