Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DIY Nanotech?

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1

s09

Anyone? Anything? Even if I'm making little smiley faces on graphite? I'd love to make something that's more complex using steel, even if I have to stitch it together atom by atom.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2
    The most important thing is a steady hand and good eyesight.

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And not being allergic to epoxy resins and latex.

5. Nov 8, 2011 #4

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Get in your car. Turn on the engine. Well done, you have now created a raft of different nanoparticles.

6. Nov 8, 2011 #5

s09

*sigh*

Ok, so, I take it that this is simply beyond the abilities available for most people without millions of dollars and a lab? If that is the case, just say so.

7. Nov 8, 2011 #6

Ryan_m_b

The study of nanotechnology is a hugely diverse field. Regarding your specific question about drawing on graphene; no you cannot do that at home. You would need something like an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_force_microscopy" [Broken]. There are probably experiments you can do at home to create things like nanoparticles, nanofilms or to nanoengineer a surface but these would be similar to home chemistry experiments and judging by your original post you have something far more advanced in mind.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  8. Nov 8, 2011 #7

s09

9. Nov 8, 2011 #8

Ryan_m_b

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook