Experimenting with Plasma: Is it Safe?

• Misc.
  • Thread starter phr34k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plasma
In summary, the conversation is about a person's interest in doing experiments with plasma during summer break. They ask about the dangers and possible risks involved, such as exposure to NO2 and NO. The other person suggests going to Powerlabs for safety precautions and mentions that welding is more fun. They also discuss making plasma globes and ball lighting in a microwave, but recommend taking safety precautions and using an old microwave.
phr34k
ive been bored so i was lookin for experiments to do for summer break and i came across one on making making and containing plasma... looks fun... but my question is, will i die or something? and what are some of the dangers besides the heat from thee stuff in the microwave...

heres a link to it
http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/oa_plasmoid.htm

Physics news on Phys.org
Why can't you just play with a fluorescent light bulb?

Zz.

lol wheres the fun in that... but do you know what the dangers may be of this experiment?

someone said they made a carrot plasma in their microwave

No2 and NO is not very good for health, take this into account.

If you go to Powerlabs, you can find out how to make plasma globes, among other things. All necessary safety precautions are detailed as well.

hey thanks for all your help guys... ill keep my distance from the microwave if i try it some time soon

ZapperZ said:
Why can't you just play with a fluorescent light bulb?

Welding is much more fun!

I want to make ball lighting you can make that in your microwave, but what I am gona do is do it out side and run a extention lead so you can be a safe distance, then only have it going for a few seconds.. oh yeh and probily use a old microwave and also put a cd in it, make's the cd turn all awsum

1. Is plasma dangerous to work with?

Plasma itself is not inherently dangerous, but the equipment and conditions needed to create and contain it can be hazardous. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate protective gear when working with plasma.

2. Can plasma experiments cause explosions?

In certain situations, plasma experiments can result in explosions. This is usually due to a buildup of pressure within the containment vessel. Proper safety measures, such as regular monitoring and release valves, can help prevent these incidents.

3. What are the potential health risks of experimenting with plasma?

Exposure to plasma can cause burns and damage to the skin and eyes. In addition, plasma can also emit harmful radiation, so it is important to use appropriate shielding and protective gear when working with it.

4. How can I ensure the safety of others while conducting plasma experiments?

It is important to have proper training and knowledge before conducting plasma experiments. Make sure to follow all safety protocols, have a designated safety officer present, and provide clear instructions and guidance to others in the lab.

5. What precautions should I take when disposing of plasma?

Plasma should be properly disposed of according to local regulations. This may involve neutralizing the plasma or storing it in a designated container before disposal. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear protective gear when handling and disposing of plasma.