Building an Electronics Project: Radar Device Ideas

In summary: ), and it's a great way to learn more about RF and microwave technology.Yes, a HAM license would be a good way to start.
guss
Hi all,
For an applied electronics class I'm currently taking, we have to come up with and build an electronics project of our choosing from scratch. I think it would be cool to build some sort of radar device. I have been looking into phased array radars, radar speed detectors, etc., but a lot of it seems to require the purchase of expensive standalone parts. Is there anything I could build in this area that I could make mostly from scratch? Generally, these projects fill up a 9"x9" or so breadboard, just to give a general idea of the scale (although there are no limits). Looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any reason it has to operate at the typical radar frequencies? It is pretty easy to build stuff that operates at HF, and you can make antennas out of wire.

guss said:
Hi all,
For an applied electronics class I'm currently taking, we have to come up with and build an electronics project of our choosing from scratch. I think it would be cool to build some sort of radar device. I have been looking into phased array radars, radar speed detectors, etc., but a lot of it seems to require the purchase of expensive standalone parts. Is there anything I could build in this area that I could make mostly from scratch? Generally, these projects fill up a 9"x9" or so breadboard, just to give a general idea of the scale (although there are no limits). Looking for ideas.

Thanks!

To build a working radar, you would need to get an FCC license for the microwave band used by speed gun radar systems.

If you are in the US, you could probably use the unlicensed 2.4GHz "microwave oven" band, but you still are going to have to deal with some pretty sophisticated RF circuitry in order to get it to work.

You could build a sonar / sonic ranging device much more easily. Have you thought about that instead? There are sound-based distance measuring devices on the market (like for home builders and home improvement) -- you could look at them and their specifications to see if you can build something similar from scratch.

You might also brainstorm project ideas that can link up with your smartphone or tablet, and maybe write an app to go along with it. That would be a pretty cool synergy...

tfr000 said:
Is there any reason it has to operate at the typical radar frequencies? It is pretty easy to build stuff that operates at HF, and you can make antennas out of wire.

Same problem with requiring an FCC license, and ensuring no interference with other licensed users of bands around where you are wanting to transmit.

berkeman said:
You could build a sonar / sonic ranging device much more easily. Have you thought about that instead?
Much better than my laser idea; which has legal aspects, albeit different than RF and microwave band use.

tfr000 said:
No, I should have been more careful with my words, I'm not thinking about a specific frequency.

berkeman said:
Same problem with requiring an FCC license, and ensuring no interference with other licensed users of bands around where you are wanting to transmit.
I was thinking I could use some unregistered bands.

I'm also open to making a receiver and transmitter from scratch just to do something simple like turn on an LED, etc.

I found some circuits here, but with little documentation: http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Homebrew_RF_Circuit_Design_Ideas/Homebrew_RF_Circuit_Design_Ideas.htm

I assume I will become familiar with this stuff as I move on with my class. Particularly, the one one titled "Short Range Wireless Data Communication" looks interesting. So the antennas would just be pieces of wire? And I assume the frequency is controlled by some component of the circuit, but I have no idea about that.

guss said:
No, I should have been more careful with my words, I'm not thinking about a specific frequency.

I was thinking I could use some unregistered bands.

If you are in the US or Europe, there aren't really any practical "unregistered" bands. The airwaves are pretty full. There are some bands that do not require a license, like the 2.4GHz "microwave oven band" that I mentioned earlier.

I'm also open to making a receiver and transmitter from scratch just to do something simple like turn on an LED, etc.

I found some circuits here, but with little documentation: http://www.qsl.net/va3iul/Homebrew_RF_Circuit_Design_Ideas/Homebrew_RF_Circuit_Design_Ideas.htm

That link is to HAM radio transceivers. You will need to get your HAM license before you can start building those projects. It's very easy to get your HAM license (see my signature below), but you may not have enough time to do that in time for this project.

I assume I will become familiar with this stuff as I move on with my class. Particularly, the one one titled "Short Range Wireless Data Communication" looks interesting. So the antennas would just be pieces of wire? And I assume the frequency is controlled by some component of the circuit, but I have no idea about that.

All good things to learn, but probably not in time for this project.

berkeman said:
If you are in the US or Europe, there aren't really any practical "unregistered" bands. The airwaves are pretty full. There are some bands that do not require a license, like the 2.4GHz "microwave oven band" that I mentioned earlier.
That link is to HAM radio transceivers. You will need to get your HAM license before you can start building those projects. It's very easy to get your HAM license (see my signature below), but you may not have enough time to do that in time for this project.
All good things to learn, but probably not in time for this project.

Thanks for all the info. This project isn't due for a while, so I may have time. Going to spend more time looking into this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/Speedy-Personal-Radar-Gun-Kit/dp/B0002NRL7K [Broken]

skeptic2 said:
http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/Speedy-Personal-Radar-Gun-Kit/dp/B0002NRL7K [Broken]

Interesting! I wonder if they are using the 2.4GHz band...?

Licensing in the RF spectrum will get you every time because the EIRP needed for pulse or chirp radar will get you every time.

I would suggest you consider LIDAR, using a cheap high power LED.

I'd be inclined to look at an optical approach - or even to use ultrasound signals. The nice thing about sound signals is that the circuitry is a lot easier (a simple oscilloscope as an output display) and the test range could be in metres rather than in hundreds of metres. Is there any reason not to use models for this exercise?

1. How does a radar device work?

A radar device works by emitting radio waves and then receiving the reflected waves from objects in its path. By measuring the time it takes for the waves to return, the device can determine the distance, speed, and direction of the objects. This information is then displayed on a screen or used to trigger an alarm.

2. What are some common radar device applications?

Radar devices have a wide range of applications, including air traffic control, weather forecasting, navigation, and military defense. They are also used for speed detection by law enforcement and collision avoidance in vehicles.

3. What are the key components of a radar device?

The key components of a radar device include a transmitter, receiver, antenna, and processor. The transmitter generates the radio waves, the receiver detects the reflected waves, and the antenna directs and focuses the waves. The processor analyzes the data and produces the output.

4. Can I build my own radar device?

Yes, it is possible to build a radar device as a DIY project, but it requires technical knowledge and specialized components. There are also kits and tutorials available for those interested in building their own radar device.

5. Are there any safety concerns when building a radar device?

Yes, there are safety concerns when working with any electronic project, including a radar device. It is important to follow safety precautions and guidelines, such as using proper insulation and handling high voltage components carefully. It is also recommended to have some knowledge and experience in electronics before attempting to build a radar device.