Fixing Warped Hemispheres for a DIY Van De Graaff Generator

In summary: I would recommend that you make some sort of fixture to hold the hemispheres in the correct position. You can use epoxy to fix them in place.
655piano
Ok, so I'm building a Van De Graaff generator from parts I've been collecting for some time now. I have 2 hemispherical bowls that were supposed to line up perfectly to make the ball at the top. shipping has warped them just the slightest bit. I'm wondering if this will produce coronal leakage if i just connect them how they are with aluminium tape. That's the other thing, these bowls have no brim to reduce leakage, so would you recommend that I connect them with aluminum tape or something different.

Physics news on Phys.org
this is an image of one of the bowls

Attachments

• blanda-blank-serving-bowl__16018_PE100294_S4.JPG
    blanda-blank-serving-bowl__16018_PE100294_S4.JPG
    9.7 KB · Views: 681
655piano said:
Ok, so I'm building a Van De Graaff generator from parts I've been collecting for some time now. I have 2 hemispherical bowls that were supposed to line up perfectly to make the ball at the top. shipping has warped them just the slightest bit. I'm wondering if this will produce coronal leakage if i just connect them how they are with aluminium tape. That's the other thing, these bowls have no brim to reduce leakage, so would you recommend that I connect them with aluminum tape or something different.
Doesn't have to be aluminium tape. It can be ordinary tape, but connect the domes inside with one wire/piece of a metal.
Of course, align the domes to make sphere as perfectly as you can.

zoki85, That still doesn't seem like it would solve the leakage problem. The voltage on both bowls will be the same even if they are touching the slightest bit so the wire doesn't seem like it would do much. The charge wants to move to the outside and collect until it needs to discharge. When there is an exposed edge, it will discharge into the air before it reaches its max storage potential. Do you think putting a layer of aluminum foil between the two bowls would work? Even if the layer is wrapped around the seem and then taped on.

Carefully made layer of Al foil would work if it makes no protrusions.

Ok thanks, Ill let you know how it works. Might have more questions pertaining to the rollers and belts.

655piano said:

It looks like you are a senior in high school. Do you have a mentor at your school or other experienced person who is helping you with this project? What is your background so far in electricity? What other projects have you built? :smile:

berkeman, yes I am a senior in high school. I have a few teachers that have inspired me and occasionally answer my questions. I've built bio generators, steam engines, distillation apparatus, a vortex cannon. Currently I'm working on this generator and also approaching my third month working on "The Miller-Urey Experiment". I have a descent background in electricity. Mostly self taught from textbooks new and old. AP Physics has helped a great deal as well.

Last edited:
Try to avoid any pointed bits and keep the surface as smooth as you can. Although the surface will be at an equipotential the electric field strength will be greater at more pointed (smaller radii) places and discharge is most likely to occur at those places. I think by far your biggest problem is in fashioning the area around the hole through which the belt passes. If you look at demonstration Van de Graaff domes you will see that the edges of this area curve inwards.

655piano said:
berkeman, yes I am a senior in high school. I have a few teachers that have inspired me and occasionally answer my questions. I've built bio generators, steam engines, distillation apparatus, a vortex cannon. Currently I'm working on this generator and also approaching my third month working on "The Miller-Urey Experiment". I have a descent background in electricity. Mostly self taught from textbooks new and old. AP Physics has helped a great deal as well.

Good stuff. Sounds like you are on a good path forward. :smile:

Safety is a big issue when working with high voltage. Be sure to keep safety in mind as you work your way through this project.

655piano said:
... would you recommend that I connect them with aluminum tape or something different.
If the hemispheres are made of aluminum (not able to solder), make some sort of fixture to hold them in the correct position and use epoxy (use a procedure that would apply it to both parts, mostly on the inside, so it (epoxy) will run together when in fixture to cure).

1. What materials do I need to make a DIY Van De Graaff Generator?

To make a DIY Van De Graaff Generator, you will need a large metal sphere, a rubber belt, a motor, a power supply, a metal comb, and other small materials such as wires and tape. You can find these materials at a local hardware store or online.

2. Is it safe to build and use a DIY Van De Graaff Generator?

Building and using a DIY Van De Graaff Generator can be safe as long as you follow proper safety precautions and use low voltage. However, it is important to keep in mind that static electricity can still be dangerous, so it is important to be cautious and supervise children if they are using the generator.

3. How does a Van De Graaff Generator work?

A Van De Graaff Generator uses a motor to turn a rubber belt, which creates friction and generates static electricity. The static electricity is then transferred to a metal sphere through a metal comb, creating a high voltage electric field.

4. Can I use a DIY Van De Graaff Generator for experiments or demonstrations?

Yes, a DIY Van De Graaff Generator can be used for various experiments and demonstrations, such as creating lightning, making objects levitate, and powering small electronics. However, it is important to have a good understanding of electricity and take proper safety precautions.

5. Are there any variations to the design of a DIY Van De Graaff Generator?

Yes, there are various designs and modifications that can be made to a DIY Van De Graaff Generator. Some variations include using different materials for the sphere or belt, adding a Leyden jar to store the electricity, or creating a larger or smaller generator. It all depends on your level of expertise and what you are trying to achieve with the generator.