Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DIY Whiteboard

1. Jul 1, 2009 #1
    G'day

If you've ever wanted a large whiteboard for your home but found the professional-quality ones too expensive, there is a relatively cheap alternative. A bit of googling turns up home-built glass, melamine bathroom siding, plastic, and plexiglass as some potential materials.

I can't speak for the effectiveness of the others, but I bought a sheet of acrylic ("Optix" by Plaskolite) and have been using it for about a month now. It's mounted on my wall with some white paper behind it. Erasing is not quite as smooth as on a real whiteboard, but some markers (and colours) come off much easier than others. I was afraid it might scratch, but so far it seems alright. If it does, there is still another side to write on.

I bought a 5 ft by 2.5 ft sheet at the Home Depot for about $40-$50 Canadian (can't remember the exact price). There were quite a few sizes to select from.

-Manning

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

4. Jul 1, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm. The one in my office is about 2' X 3'...it cost about $10. Granted, it's cheaply made, but ~$45 seems overpriced to me, even for a large board such as the one you're making.

5. Jul 1, 2009 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I'd just go to the dump and saw the side out of an abandoned freezer.

6. Jul 1, 2009 #5
    I saw a piece of white board in the canal near my house, I managed to bring it up to discover a meat (~600gr) full of sheetsts. But the white board is still usable.

7. Jul 1, 2009 #6
    I did the melmaline version a few years ago. A bit hard to erase (red markers were particularly bad), but it was very usable.

I think it was 8x5 for ~$10.

8. Jul 2, 2009 #7
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  9. Jul 2, 2009 #8

Danger

Gold Member

I assume, then, that you are a fellow Canuck. :biggrin:

10. Jul 2, 2009 #9
    White boards are dirt cheap. Its the markers that take a toll on the wallet.

11. Jul 2, 2009 #10
    Correct! :tongue:

12. Jul 3, 2009 #11

Danger

Gold Member

Excellent! We are slowly but surely taking over.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook