DIY Windshield washer fluid

In summary: Add some vinegar to water, add a...Add some vinegar to water, add a...Can you imagine trying to sell windshield washer fluid with 2-butoxyethanol in it in California?Easily! It is called "butyl cellosolve" and is very common in window cleaners.
DumDum82
I've been thinking of making DIY Windshield washer fluid. I was planning to source some 2-Butoxyethanol and mix it in with a 1% dilution with distilled or demineralised water (whichever I can get my hands on). Do you think that should make a good summer windshield washing fluid or am I missing something?

Is there something better than the 2-butoxyethanol I can use?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
DumDum82 said:
I've been thinking of making DIY Windshield washer fluid. I was planning to source some 2-Butoxyethanol and mix it in with a 1% dilution with distilled or demineralised water (whichever I can get my hands on). Do you think that should make a good summer windshield washing fluid or am I missing something?

Thanks.
Why this particular chemical? This stuff is hazardous to handle.

If you just got to make your own, here are some alternatives:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Windshield-Washer-Fluid

Thanks for the response!
Well, I'm also considering coming up with my own product to sell to my detailing clients. I want it to be professional - grade. If it turns out great, I'll package it and offer it to my customers.

DumDum82 said:
Thanks for the response!
Well, I'm also considering coming up with my own product to sell to my detailing clients. I want it to be professional - grade. If it turns out great, I'll package it and offer it to my customers.
You should do more research on the chemicals you plan to use.

Your potential customers would not appreciate being exposed to a suspected carcinogen, I expect:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/butoxyethanol/

2-Butoxyethanol has been used in many household and industrial cleaning products including Windex and the various knockoffs. Windex has been switched to 2-Hexoxyethanol. Does anyone know about this new solvent?

RE Carcinogen:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378427404004655
There is evidence that it causes cancer in rats. They (the EPA) have yet to determine if it is a valid mechanism in humans.

BoB

DumDum82 said:
Thanks for the response!
SteamKing said:
You should do more research on the chemicals you plan to use.

Your potential customers would not appreciate being exposed to a suspected carcinogen, I expect:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/butoxyethanol/
Companies already exist which are prepared to do this.

DumDum82 said:

Thanks.

Add some vinegar to water, add a fragrance. Try different mixing ratios. No carcinogens. Can you imagine trying to sell windshield washer fluid with 2-butoxyethanol in it in California?

Yeah, dilute white vinegar, add just a dash of some detergent/surfactant (washingup liquid), and why not, sure, a bit of fragrance for the feelgood factor, if this is to be a commercial product.

AgentSmith said:
Add some vinegar to water, add a...Can you imagine trying to sell windshield washer fluid with 2-butoxyethanol in it in California?

Easily! It is called "butyl cellosolve" and is very common in window cleaners.

What is DIY windshield washer fluid?

DIY windshield washer fluid is a homemade mixture used to clean car windshields. It is typically made with a combination of water, alcohol, and other household ingredients.

Why should I make my own windshield washer fluid?

There are several reasons why you may want to make your own windshield washer fluid. It can be cheaper than purchasing pre-made fluid, allows you to control the ingredients and their concentrations, and can be a more environmentally friendly option.

What ingredients do I need to make DIY windshield washer fluid?

The basic ingredients for DIY windshield washer fluid are water, rubbing alcohol, and dish soap. You may also choose to add other ingredients such as vinegar, ammonia, or essential oils for scent.

How do I make DIY windshield washer fluid?

To make DIY windshield washer fluid, mix together 1 gallon of water, 1 cup of rubbing alcohol, and 1 tablespoon of dish soap. You can also adjust the ratios of these ingredients to your preference. Add any additional ingredients, such as vinegar or essential oils, and mix well.

Is DIY windshield washer fluid safe for my car?

Yes, DIY windshield washer fluid is generally safe for use on cars. However, it is always a good idea to test the mixture on a small area of your windshield first to ensure it does not cause any damage. You may also want to avoid using ingredients like ammonia, which can be harsh on some car materials.