Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DIY Windshield washer fluid

1. Jun 17, 2015 #1
    I've been thinking of making DIY Windshield washer fluid. I was planning to source some 2-Butoxyethanol and mix it in with a 1% dilution with distilled or demineralised water (whichever I can get my hands on). Do you think that should make a good summer windshield washing fluid or am I missing something?

Is there something better than the 2-butoxyethanol I can use?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why this particular chemical? This stuff is hazardous to handle.

If you just gotta make your own, here are some alternatives:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Windshield-Washer-Fluid

4. Jun 18, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the response!
    Well, I'm also considering coming up with my own product to sell to my detailing clients. I want it to be professional - grade. If it turns out great, I'll package it and offer it to my customers.

5. Jun 18, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should do more research on the chemicals you plan to use.

Your potential customers would not appreciate being exposed to a suspected carcinogen, I expect:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/butoxyethanol/

6. Jun 19, 2015 #5

rbelli1

Gold Member

2-Butoxyethanol has been used in many household and industrial cleaning products including Windex and the various knockoffs. Windex has been switched to 2-Hexoxyethanol. Does anyone know about this new solvent?

RE Carcinogen:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0378427404004655
    There is evidence that it causes cancer in rats. They (the EPA) have yet to determine if it is a valid mechanism in humans.

BoB

7. Jun 19, 2015 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Companies already exist which are prepared to do this.

8. Jun 22, 2015 #7
    Add some vinegar to water, add a fragrance. Try different mixing ratios. No carcinogens. Can you imagine trying to sell windshield washer fluid with 2-butoxyethanol in it in California?

9. Jun 22, 2015 #8
    Yeah, dilute white vinegar, add just a dash of some detergent/surfactant (washingup liquid), and why not, sure, a bit of fragrance for the feelgood factor, if this is to be a commercial product.

10. Jun 23, 2015 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Easily! It is called "butyl cellosolve" and is very common in window cleaners.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook