Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DIY Wireless Charging Circuit

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    Good Afternoon,

I'd like to build a wireless charging circuit from scratch, but I am unsure of where to start. Every time I attempted the experiment the coils would not transfer power and I am unsure of what I am doing incorrectly. If anyone could point me to a resource for DIY wireless charging circuits I would be greatful.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

Doing a Google search on the title of your thread brings up lots and lots of resources. What resources have you looked at so far?

4. Oct 10, 2012 #3
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7566920_power-led-mutual-inductance.html

My friends and I are following this tutorial to the letter, but we can't seem to transmit more than .07V

Materials:
    * 12VAC Transformer
    * 5 Turn 3inch Diameter 22 Gauge Magnet Wire Receiving Coil
    * Various Transmitting coils - 14 gauge solid core/ 10 gauge stranded/ 22 gauge smaller diameter / 22 gauge higher diameter

5. Oct 11, 2012 #4
  6. Oct 11, 2012 #5
    Thank you! We'll try it and get back to you.

7. Oct 19, 2012 #6
    Does anyone know how to increase AC frequency? This has been driving me nuts for 3 days!
    I have a 12VAC 1.2A transformer letting out a 60Hz signal. I need it to oscillate at 60kHz. I don't have a frequency generator. are there any semi-simple circuits I can make to set the frequency using parts from radioshack?

8. Oct 20, 2012 #7
    It's the page 2 of Pantaz' link:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Wireless-Ipod-Charger/step2/The-Schematic/
    but this project is not exactly for a beginner.

I'm surprised the author at instructables.com resonates the 3+3 turns transmitter coil with 2µF and the 3 turns receiver coil with 2µF as well. Unless both coils are very close to an other, the capacitances should be in factor 1:4. Further, resonance has to be adjusted a bit to obtain range.

PVC insulated wire is less than optimum: at around 250kHz it creates big dielectric losses in the coils. Transformer wire is far better, and of course Litz wire even better (I suppose it's a translation mistake, we should say braided wire).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook