What substance cools when electricity is applied?

• Chemical/Paint
  • Thread starter Smoothmusicman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, a liquid, gas, gel, or substance that cools when it meets electric current is possible, but it is not easy to do.
Smoothmusicman
What is a liquid, gas, gel, (substance) etc. that cools when it meets electric current? Thank you all for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there's the thermoelectric effect, but I'm not sure that's what you're wanting. Are you asking if there's a substance that just cools itself off when an electric current flows through it? Are you wanting this for some kind of project?

Thanks for the reply Drakkith... Yes, I'm working on a project where I need an enclosed tube, that will be inaccessible after the project is completed, that will have an electric wire inside, and I need to fill the tube with a substance (solid, liquid or gas) so that when current is pushed through the wire the reaction with the substance cools the tube.

I don't think it is possible. At least not the way you describe it. Passing current in general heats things up, not cools them down. Theoretically speaking passing current could trigger some highly endothermic reaction, but the effect will be most likely irreversible - that is, you will be able to do it just once. It could be possible to "recharge" the system (something similar in principle to thiosulfate hand warmers), but I can't think of any substance that will behave the way you need even irreversibly, not to mention the latter case..

Likes Smoothmusicman
Did you consider to use a Peltier element?

Likes Smoothmusicman
Borek said:
I don't think it is possible. At least not the way you describe it. Passing current in general heats things up, not cools them down. Theoretically speaking passing current could trigger some highly endothermic reaction, but the effect will be most likely irreversible - that is, you will be able to do it just once. It could be possible to "recharge" the system (something similar in principle to thiosulfate hand warmers), but I can't think of any substance that will behave the way you need even irreversibly, not to mention the latter case..
Thank you very much for your reply...

DrDu said:
Did you consider to use a Peltier element?
I had never ever hear of a Peltier element... I'm reading up on it right now and this might be what I'm looking for! Thank you and I'll keep you posted.

Just remember Peltier element is cold on one side, but hot on the other. Your initial description suggested you want something that gets cold as a whole.

Borek said:
Just remember Peltier element is cold on one side, but hot on the other. Your initial description suggested you want something that gets cold as a whole.
Thanks Borek... Reading up on Peltier element is making me re-envision what I'm trying to accomplish and gave me an idea of how to implement it... Thank you all!

1. What safety precautions should I take when working with chemicals?

When working with chemicals, it is important to always wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. Make sure to read and follow all instructions and warning labels on the chemicals. Work in a well-ventilated area and never mix chemicals unless specifically instructed to do so. In case of accidental contact with chemicals, always have an emergency eyewash and shower nearby.

2. How should I dispose of chemical waste?

Proper disposal of chemical waste is crucial for the safety of the environment and those around you. First, check the label or safety data sheet for specific instructions on disposal. If there are no instructions, follow your local regulations for chemical waste disposal. In general, chemical waste should be placed in a sealed container and taken to a designated hazardous waste facility.

3. Can I substitute one chemical for another in a DIY project?

It is not recommended to substitute one chemical for another without proper knowledge and understanding of their properties. Chemicals can have different reactions and effects, so it is important to follow the specific instructions and use the recommended chemicals for a DIY project.

4. How can I store chemicals safely?

Chemicals should be stored in a designated storage area that is secure, well-ventilated, and away from any heat sources or direct sunlight. Make sure to keep chemicals in their original containers with the labels intact. It is also important to keep incompatible chemicals separate from each other to prevent potential reactions.

5. What should I do if I accidentally ingest a chemical?

If you accidentally ingest a chemical, immediately rinse your mouth with water and seek medical attention. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by a medical professional. It is important to always read and follow all safety precautions when working with chemicals to prevent accidental ingestion.