1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dme + h2o

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    I've been searching for a DME + H2O boiling point composition curve. Can someone help me here or give me a clue how to calculate the curve?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

These things are determined experimentally, so you have to search literature.

4. Nov 26, 2008 #3
    I think I saw once that there was a program where you would input molecules and magically you could get a component curve out of it.

It could be that they were using correlations to set up this component curve based on activity coefficients, isn't this true?

It has been 5 years now, so my mind is blurry at this moment.

Edit: I remember things like Uniquac, unifac, nrtl and you had to use one of them specifically when dealing with a certain mixture. But I forgot it all by now... I'll have to dig it up again.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  5. Dec 3, 2008 #4
    Just to update the status: I've found a free software VLE calculator tool where you can input Antoine coefficients, molecular weight and density of the components. You can then calculate the composition curves with UNIFAC. It's a pretty awesome thing to use!

6. Dec 3, 2008 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Coefficients are found experimentally and Antoine equation usually doesn't work for the entire pressure/temperature range. In other words - coefficients itself are temperature dependent. So you better treat results of these calculations with care. But they are better than nothing :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?