Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Dme + h2o

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    I've been searching for a DME + H2O boiling point composition curve. Can someone help me here or give me a clue how to calculate the curve?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

These things are determined experimentally, so you have to search literature.

4. Nov 26, 2008 #3
    I think I saw once that there was a program where you would input molecules and magically you could get a component curve out of it.

It could be that they were using correlations to set up this component curve based on activity coefficients, isn't this true?

It has been 5 years now, so my mind is blurry at this moment.

Edit: I remember things like Uniquac, unifac, nrtl and you had to use one of them specifically when dealing with a certain mixture. But I forgot it all by now... I'll have to dig it up again.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  5. Dec 3, 2008 #4
    Just to update the status: I've found a free software VLE calculator tool where you can input Antoine coefficients, molecular weight and density of the components. You can then calculate the composition curves with UNIFAC. It's a pretty awesome thing to use!

6. Dec 3, 2008 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Coefficients are found experimentally and Antoine equation usually doesn't work for the entire pressure/temperature range. In other words - coefficients itself are temperature dependent. So you better treat results of these calculations with care. But they are better than nothing :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook