Dme + h2o

• Thread starter katchum
  • Start date
I've been searching for a DME + H2O boiling point composition curve. Can someone help me here or give me a clue how to calculate the curve?

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
These things are determined experimentally, so you have to search literature.

I think I saw once that there was a program where you would input molecules and magically you could get a component curve out of it.

It could be that they were using correlations to set up this component curve based on activity coefficients, isn't this true?

It has been 5 years now, so my mind is blurry at this moment.

Edit: I remember things like Uniquac, unifac, nrtl and you had to use one of them specifically when dealing with a certain mixture. But I forgot it all by now... I'll have to dig it up again.

Last edited:
Just to update the status: I've found a free software VLE calculator tool where you can input Antoine coefficients, molecular weight and density of the components. You can then calculate the composition curves with UNIFAC. It's a pretty awesome thing to use!

Borek
Mentor
tool where you can input Antoine coefficients, molecular weight and density of the components

Coefficients are found experimentally and Antoine equation usually doesn't work for the entire pressure/temperature range. In other words - coefficients itself are temperature dependent. So you better treat results of these calculations with care. But they are better than nothing :smile: