Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

DNA in eukaryotes

1. May 3, 2004 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why is the DNA in eukaryotes an open ended string rather than a closed loop?

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2004 #2
    because it is too long to be in a loop????

4. May 3, 2004 #3

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

..something with D-branes.. I don't remember :wink:

But seriously, it is a good question.. let's turn it around: why is the DNA in prokaryotes circular and when did the separation between circular and linear DNA start. I guess spuriousmonkey has a point.

5. May 3, 2004 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This is how I think about it:
    that by using an open ended string form, it is easier to build up
    a more complex organism which might carve out new ecological niches for themselves.
    But since this is wild, unsubstantiated speculation from my side, I wanted to hear an expert's view on the matter..

6. May 3, 2004 #5

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think it is a question of length. Many bacteria have more than one chromosome and if you add all the genetic material (including plasmid) some bacteria have large genome. Linear chromsome tend to be unstable if some component are not present. Circular chromosome can be done artificially in yeast (Circular chromosome formation in a fission yeast mutant defective in two ATM homologues)

I think the difference between linear and circular is probably due to their distinct evolution and early in their evolution, eukaryotes acquire genes that stabilize the linear form. As far as complexity and exploting unique niche, bacteria are ahead of eukaryotes. Linear chromsome seems better suite for sexual reproduction. Recombination between two linear chromosome seem to be easier than circular DNA.

This is paper on the evolution of linear chromosome in bacteria.
    A new beginning with new ends: linearisation of circular chromosomes during bacterial evolution

Last edited: May 3, 2004
  7. May 3, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

iansmith, great!!
    So, linear DNA is the best tool for gene-mixing when gene-mixing is to occur by means of sexual reproduction?

8. May 3, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think he has a very good point too.. on average 40 cross-overs occur during meiosis, I don't see that happening with circular DNA.. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?