Is DNA Present in Inanimate Objects?

• Thread starter icakeov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dna
In summary: I couldn't find much on this topic online. Besides their basic chemical structure, can inanimate objects be said to contain DNA molecules?They don't have to genetically replicate (or at least not quickly).
icakeov
I couldn't find much on this topic online.

Besides their basic chemical structure, can inanimate objects be said to contain DNA molecules?
They don't have to genetically replicate (or at least not quickly).

Thanks for any thoughts! :)

Likes gracy
Biology news on Phys.org
Unless it's put there by an organism (like a fly in amber) then no. I feel like there's more to your question that's not stated, could you elaborate?

Likes icakeov
I am trying to wrap my head around this one myself. Let me try the opposite angle:
DNA replicate themselves through genes that they form. Right? If DNA had no genetic structures that help their replication, would this be an inanimate object? And if yes, any examples? And if not, would that imply that DNA and genes always come in the same package?

Thanks for your reply btw! I figured it would need to be some sort of a "living" structure.

Last edited:
icakeov said:
DNA replicate themselves through genes that they form. Right?

No, I think we need to start with some terminology. DNA is deoxyribonucleic acid, it is a large double helix molecule composed of a sequence of nucleic acids. Genes are sections of that sequence that code for a functional RNA molecule or protein. DNA replication is a complicated processes involving many different enzymes, briefly this involves enzymes unravelling the double helix, reading the sequence and synthesising a new strand on the basis of that sequence. This video shows some brilliant computer constructed images of the process.

icakeov said:
If DNA had no genetic structures that help their replication, would this be an inanimate object? And if yes, any examples? And if not, would that imply that DNA and genes always come in the same package?

Genetic structure means something specific, I'm not sure what you mean by it here. If you're asking if DNA is the only way to encode genes the answer is no, there are other molecules that can do the job, RNA viruses don't use DNA for example, but in nature DNA is vastly more ubiquitous because it has favourable chemical properties like being stable over much longer time scales.

In theory there could be other molecules used for storing genomes but that would require a radically different cellular biochemistry. There are groups that investigate that as a way of hypothesising about life on other planets.

icakeov said:
Thanks for your reply btw! I figured it would need to be some sort of a "living" structure.

No problem, I feel I'm still not understanding you completely though.

Likes gracy and icakeov
Here is how I get it currently: DNA contain genes in their sequence. But other molecules can also have genes. It just happens that DNA are the ones that are doing well.
My questions would then be:
Are there any DNA molecules that don't contain genes? If molecules (DNA or not) don't contain genes, are they able to replicate? And if they are not able to replicate, what does that make them? Inanimate or animate (taking that being animate entails the ability to replicate)? And finally, what wold be any examples of these?

I am guessing a piece of quartz rock is just bunch of atoms, no DNA or molecules there, so that doesn't count. And this is an example of a structure that doesn't have DNA and can't replicate, so it's inanimate. But is there an object that DOES have DNA, but can't replicate because doesn't have genes (or for some other reason can't replicate).

I know I repeated a bit of myself but I hope I painted a better picture. Or am I totally of track here? :) Thanks again!

icakeov said:
My questions would then be:
Are there any DNA molecules that don't contain genes? If molecules (DNA or not) don't contain genes, are they able to replicate? And if they are not able to replicate, what does that make them? Inanimate or animate (taking that being animate entails the ability to replicate)? And finally, what wold be any examples of these?

Not all of DNA codes for genes, a lot of the sequence contains regulatory regions that influence how genes are turned on or off. I can't think of any examples of DNA in nature that is used for something other than genome storage. As for being able to replicate DNA replication occurs because of enzymes involved in that process, without a genome those enzymes wouldn't be produced and beyond that the organism (or cell of an organism) wouldn't function.

In terms of animate and inanimate I believe the definition of inanimate is "not alive." I don't believe any form of DNA is considered to be alive, it's an important component of an organism that is alive but that's not the same thing.

icakeov said:
I am guessing a piece of quartz rock is just bunch of atoms, no DNA or molecules there, so that doesn't count. And this is an example of a structure that doesn't have DNA and can't replicate, so it's inanimate. But is there an object that DOES have DNA, but can't replicate because doesn't have genes (or for some other reason can't replicate).

Technically DNA viruses have DNA but can't replicate on their own. That's because a virus doesn't carry the necessary molecular equipment to synthesise new molecules, instead it infects other organisms with its own DNA and hijacks their components. The DNA in this case definitely codes for genes however. Along similar lines prions are self-replicating proteins, there's no DNA involved but the replicate by coming into contact with another protein the same as themselves and folding it into a different configuration. Like viruses they also depend on another organism to do the work, in this case synthesising the extra protein.

Likes icakeov
That is very helpful!
Just a few additional thoughts/questions:
- So DNA viruses actually do have genes (as you said, all DNA store genes), but they need extra other molecular equipment to replicate themselves. Very cool.
- As for the "life" part, my take was not that DNA is "life" but more that the process of DNA replicating (if it can) would be considered "life", because the process of reproduction is one of the main definitions of life. Or are there some other entities to consider before we can officially throw the term "life" into the pot?

Likes icakeov
icakeov said:
That is very helpful!

No problem.

icakeov said:
- So DNA viruses actually do have genes (as you said, all DNA store genes), but they need extra other molecular equipment to replicate themselves. Very cool.

Yes. Specifically viruses insert their DNA into a cell "tricking" the cell into producing more viruses. If you read up on the central dogma of biology that will give you a good grounding to understand how the information in genes is used to construct things.

icakeov said:
- As for the "life" part, my take was not that DNA is "life" but more that the process of DNA replicating (if it can) would be considered "life", because the process of reproduction is one of the main definitions of life. Or are there some other entities to consider before we can officially throw the term "life" into the pot?

DNA cannot replicate on its own, if you had a solution of DNA doesn't matter how long you leave it you won't get more made. For DNA to replicate it needs to transcribe RNA, have that RNA translated into proteins and have those proteins replicate the DNA. All of that requires a metabolism to power it and supply the necessary "ingredients" and a barrier to prevent everything from floating away. Essentially it requires a cell.

As for what life is there are a range of characteristics that an object has to exhibit before it is considered alive. Replication is only one of them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life#Definitions

Likes icakeov
Thanks again for all the answers! This really helped clarify so much.
Just to recap, after all the details, the answer to the original question would be, yes, DNA can find itself in an inanimate environment. DNA itself is inanimate in the first place so it can either be involved in producing life (if it finds itself in a cellular environment, where its replication can be facilitated), or it doesn't have to produce life if such conditions are not met.
Accurate enough?

I was going to start a new thread, but then realized that this question is related to this one, just a bit of a flip side of itself. It might be a bit of an odd question, but here it goes:
Are there any life forms that come into existence that don't involve DNA, genes and cells?
Basically, is there life that just spontaneously (or caused by another stimulus) happens, and then just dies because it doesn't get replicated? Or goes in some other direction?
Or is all life on Earth strictly built/maintained using cells?

icakeov said:
Are there any life forms that come into existence that don't involve DNA, genes and cells?
Basically, is there life that just spontaneously (or caused by another stimulus) happens, and then just dies because it doesn't get replicated? Or goes in some other direction?
Or is all life on Earth strictly built/maintained using cells?

Other than viruses, which straddle the border between life and non-life, all life is made up of cells which were originally created by the division of previous cells in a process known as biogenesis, the creation of new organisms from pre-existing life. Take this process back about 4 billion years and we arrive to an unknown period in the evolutionary history of life and a process called abiogenesis, the generation of life from non-living materials.

It is believed that abiogenesis can no longer happen in the world today because living organisms would destroy any nascent pre-life (or, rather, simply keep them from forming in the first place)

Likes icakeov
Thanks! That really clarified things.

1. What is DNA and how does it relate to inanimate objects?

DNA (Deoxyribonucleic Acid) is a molecule that contains genetic instructions for the development and functioning of all living organisms. Inanimate objects do not have DNA, as they are not living organisms. However, DNA can sometimes be found on inanimate objects, such as when it is left behind through contact with living organisms.

2. Can DNA be extracted from inanimate objects?

Yes, DNA can sometimes be extracted from inanimate objects. This is known as touch DNA and it occurs when skin cells, hair, or other bodily fluids are left behind on the object through contact. However, the amount and quality of DNA that can be extracted from inanimate objects is often limited.

3. Can DNA be used to identify the owner of an inanimate object?

Yes, DNA can be used to identify the owner of an inanimate object, but it depends on the amount and quality of DNA that is present. If a sufficient amount of DNA is found and can be matched to a known individual, then it can be used for identification purposes. However, if only a small amount of DNA is present, it may not be possible to obtain a reliable identification.

4. How long can DNA last on inanimate objects?

The lifespan of DNA on inanimate objects can vary greatly depending on the conditions. In ideal conditions, DNA can potentially last for thousands of years. However, in less ideal conditions, such as exposure to heat, sunlight, or moisture, DNA can degrade much more quickly.

5. Are there any ethical concerns related to the collection and use of DNA from inanimate objects?

Yes, there are ethical concerns related to the collection and use of DNA from inanimate objects. This is because DNA can contain sensitive information about individuals, such as their genetic predispositions to certain diseases. It is important for there to be strict guidelines and regulations in place to ensure that DNA is collected and used ethically and with the consent of the individuals involved.