Is our future potential already coded in our DNA?

• Thread starter dleacock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dna
In summary, the conversation discussed the idea that the potential for our species' future evolution is already coded into our DNA. Some argued that this is through the occurrence of mutations, which can have both positive and negative effects. Others questioned the role of genetics in evolution and shared their own experiences with studying molecular genetics and physics. The conversation ended with a debate on the amount of physics knowledge needed for genetics.
dleacock
Hope this doesn't sound too silly, but I seem to recall hearing someone
say that our species future potenial, I guess our next evolutionary steps are already coded into the DNA. Now this doesn't seem to make to
much sense to me, but maybe its BS. Anybody ever hear anything like this?

dleacock

Biology news on Phys.org
Well, I suppose either (1) an inactive gene could become active or (2) there can be some small scale adaptation within an existing DNA code. But it seems like "next evolutionary steps" (sounds more substantial) for humans will come from mutations (new information)...unless you want to consider genetic engineering.

you refer to mutations as "new information" I was under the impression that a mutation is when the dna is not copied correctly somewhere along the line and is changed. I was under the impression that this is what causes bad things to happen to our body. isn't cancer a genetic mutation, along with a number of other fatal illnesses? is a genetic mutation ever good?

fileen said:
I was under the impression that a mutation is when the dna is not copied correctly somewhere along the line and is changed.
Mutation is just a change in the DNA sequence of a cell. This can happen due to a variety of causes...incorrect copying, external influences (like UV rays), etc. Mutations can be silent (i.e. they have no effect) or can be 'bad' or yes, even 'good'. It is like shooting at a crowd of people at random. Most of the times you will hit no one or hit an innocent person...but at times, by chance, you can hit a criminal too! :smile: But the importance of these random 'good' hits are they are the driving force of evolution.
This leads us to the OP.
our species future potenial, I guess our next evolutionary steps are already coded into the DNA
So what this means is that our current DNA content sets the constrains and the boundaries on how much we can evolve and in what directions because mutations can only occur in this given DNA content.

sounds like you know a lot about it. I am very interested in genetics and I actually just applied to a number of universities for their molecular genetics courses. the problem is my physics. I just don't like it. so far I am self taught in the area.I have done it all through correspondance courses and I am debating dropping my in class grade 12 physics class for next semester. I have the hardest time making myself do it. I found this forum in attempt to find help but funny as it sounds I have never even been to the physics part of this website. I understand it but I don't like it. one might say that it is simply due to my self teaching but I did chemistry the same way and my marks a 93, I love it. how much physics do you think I need to get by in genetics? I can do it but I would like to do as little as possible.

1. What is DNA and how does it affect our future potential?

DNA, or deoxyribonucleic acid, is a molecule that carries genetic information in all living organisms. It contains the instructions for building and maintaining an organism, including determining traits such as physical characteristics and susceptibility to diseases. Our DNA plays a significant role in shaping our future potential by influencing various aspects of our physical and mental development.

2. Can our DNA be changed or altered to improve our future potential?

While our DNA is largely fixed and cannot be altered, there are certain environmental factors, such as nutrition and lifestyle choices, that can influence how our genes are expressed. This means that we can make lifestyle changes to optimize our genetic potential, but we cannot fundamentally change our DNA itself.

3. Is our future potential solely determined by our DNA?

No, our DNA is just one factor that contributes to our future potential. Other factors, such as our environment, upbringing, and life experiences, also play a significant role in shaping who we are and what we can achieve.

4. Can DNA testing accurately predict our future potential?

While DNA testing can provide insights into our genetic makeup and potential predispositions to certain traits and conditions, it cannot accurately predict our future potential. Our potential is influenced by a complex interplay of genetic and environmental factors, making it difficult to accurately predict based on DNA alone.

5. Can we change our future potential if we have "bad" genes?

Having "bad" genes does not necessarily mean that our future potential is limited. As mentioned earlier, our environment and lifestyle choices can influence how our genes are expressed. Therefore, even if we have certain genetic predispositions, we can still work towards optimizing our potential through healthy habits and behaviors.