The Triple Helix: Exploring its Possibilities and Limitations

• Thread starter Zelos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helix
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a triple helix in DNA and the potential advantages and disadvantages of such a structure. It is mentioned that artificial base pairs could potentially work in theory, but it is unlikely due to the precise positioning of the current DNA molecules. The idea of a triple helix has been known to exist in transient situations, such as during DNA recombination, but it has not been found in a naturally occurring form. The potential for a triple helix to be decoded and its advantages are also mentioned.
Zelos
the dna is made up be a double helix, but would it be possible to have a tripple helix? if so what would the advantage be and what disadvantages does exist? I've been thinking on this and have come nowhere exept it would be fun to see it cause we don't have it.

and is it possible to create (theoretical on paper) base pairs we don't have that could acctualy work(theoretical)?

Biology news on Phys.org
Zelos said:
and is it possible to create (theoretical on paper) base pairs we don't have that could acctualy work(theoretical)?

yes. put an additional nucleic acid on the 1 carbon of the ribose for the middle strand. whether this would work in reality is another matter, since your inner core of the cylinder would most likely be hydrated.

linus pauling originally (and mistakenly) thought that DNA was a triple helix.

oh hey zelos, I didn't know you joined.

The triple helix has been known to exist in transient situations. Whenever DNA recombination occurs such as in crossing over during gamete fertilization, aided by enzymes such as recombinases and invertases, and possibly during replication and transcription occurs.

As for the artificial base pairs... if you can make basepairs that can interact in the same manner with the various enzymes and biomolecules that chemically "touch" the DNA for information, then you can replace the base pairs we have now with no consequences. This, however, is not very likely because I suspect that every fraction of an angstrom of the DNA molecule is dynamically positioned in such a precise way.

Zelos, I asked my biology teacher if there was such a helix that existed naturally. He told me if I could find one then I'd be looking at a Nobel Prize in Biology. I guess he didn't know about the transient situations Quasi just mentioned.

Quasi, what would an example of one of those situations be?

What would the advantages of such a helix be? Wouldn't that be fun to decode! :bugeye:

~Kitty

1. What is the Triple Helix?

The Triple Helix is a framework that describes the relationship between university, industry, and government in fostering innovation and economic development. It suggests that collaboration between these three sectors can lead to successful knowledge-based economies.

2. How does the Triple Helix model work?

The model proposes that interactions between universities, industries, and governments can result in the creation and exchange of knowledge, which can lead to innovation and economic growth. This can be achieved through joint research projects, technology transfer, and policies that support knowledge-based industries.

3. What are the possibilities of the Triple Helix?

The Triple Helix offers the potential for increased innovation and economic growth through collaboration between universities, industries, and governments. It can also lead to the development of new technologies and industries, as well as the creation of jobs and a skilled workforce.

4. What are the limitations of the Triple Helix?

One limitation of the Triple Helix model is that it may not be applicable to all contexts or regions. It also relies heavily on the participation and resources of all three sectors, which may not always be available. Additionally, there may be conflicts of interest between the different sectors, which could hinder collaboration.

5. How can the Triple Helix be implemented in practice?

The implementation of the Triple Helix model varies depending on the specific context and goals of a region or country. However, some common strategies include establishing partnerships and networks between universities, industries, and governments, providing funding and incentives for collaborative projects, and creating policies that support knowledge-based industries and innovation.