How Does Cis-Platin Affect DNA Replication?

In summary, a Chemistry student has a question about how cis-platin affects DNA replication. They mention that mechloroethamine impedes the first stage of replication, but are unsure about how cis-platin specifically affects the process. They are seeking guidance and resources to better understand the topic.
elemis
Before I ask my question, I would like to state that I am not a Biology student. I am actually a Chemistry student who has a small section on Biochemistry in his syllabus.

Now, my problem lies with part (ii).

Mechloroethamine obviously hold the DNA strands together and prevents the DNA helix from uncurling/unzipping. Hence, the very first stage in replication is impeded.

How cis-platin affects DNA replication is eluding me. I know that Guanine normally forms 3 hydrogen bonds with Cytosine. However, it seems to be forming only one hydrogen bond in this case.

Could someone prod me in the correct direction ?

Attachments

• cis.png
    cis.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 486
Chemistry news on Phys.org

What is cis-platin?

Cis-platin is a chemotherapy drug that is commonly used to treat various types of cancer, including ovarian, lung, and testicular cancer. It works by damaging the DNA of cancer cells, preventing them from replicating and ultimately causing them to die.

How does cis-platin affect DNA replication?

Cis-platin works by binding to the DNA of cancer cells and causing structural changes that interfere with the replication process. This prevents the cancer cells from dividing and multiplying, ultimately leading to their death.

What are the side effects of cis-platin?

Like most chemotherapy drugs, cis-platin can cause a variety of side effects, including nausea, vomiting, hair loss, and decreased blood cell counts. It can also have more serious side effects, such as kidney damage and nerve damage, which may require medical intervention.

How is cis-platin administered?

Cis-platin is typically administered through a vein in the arm or hand, either as an injection or through an IV drip. It may be given alone or in combination with other chemotherapy drugs, depending on the type and stage of cancer being treated.

What are the long-term effects of cis-platin treatment?

While cis-platin can be an effective treatment for cancer, it may also have long-term effects on the body. These can include an increased risk of developing other types of cancer, as well as potential damage to the kidneys, ears, and nervous system. Patients who have received cis-platin treatment should continue to have regular check-ups with their doctor to monitor for any potential long-term effects.