DNA - Tracing your ancestors out of Africa

In summary, the National Geographic Genographic Project is collecting DNA from people worldwide to trace their ancestors' migrations around the world. Participation is possible by purchasing the Geno 2.0 Genographic Project Participation Kit, which offers the opportunity to discover migration paths, learn about ancestral makeup, and find out if there is Neanderthal or Denisovan ancestry. The participation also helps the Genographic Project by contributing data to their database. This project is not the same as other DNA testing companies that focus on medical testing or genealogy. It specifically focuses on tracing ancient migrations and adding to the database.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I was watching the National Geographic Genographic Project where they are collecting DNA from people worldwide and tracing their ancestor's migrations around the world.

You can be a part of the project by purchasing the Geno 2.0 Genographic Project Participation Kit. I think this would be fun to find out which migratory paths your ancestor's took. Some of the results were surprising. I think I'm going to do it (when I can spare $200). Kind of cool to be part of the project.

By participating, you will:

• Discover the migration paths your ancient ancestors followed hundreds—even thousands—of years ago, with an unprecedented view of your ancestral journey.
• Learn what percentage of your genome is affiliated with specific regions of the world.
• Find out if you have Neanderthal or Denisovan ancestry.
• Have the opportunity to share your story and connect with other Genographic Project participants, helping us fill in the gaps in the human story.

How your participation helps the Genographic Project:

As a Genographic Project participant, you will have the opportunity to contribute your data to our Genographic database, helping our scientists and researchers who are working to chart a comprehensive map of the early stages of human history. Participation in the Genographic Project database is your choice and is not necessary to access your individual results.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/genographic-kits/geno-2.0---genographic-project-participation-and-dna-ancestry-kit

The results give you an unprecedented view of your lineage. You will discover the migration paths your ancient ancestors followed thousands of years ago, and learn the details of your ancestral makeup—your branches on the human

Included in the markers we will test for is a subset that scientists have recently determined to be from our hominin cousins, Neanderthals and the newly discovered Denisovans, who split from our lineagearound 500,000 years ago. As modern humans were first migrating out of Africa more than 60,000 years ago, Neanderthals and Denisovans were still alive and well in Eurasia. It seems that our ancestors met, leaving a small genetic trace of these ancient relatives in our DNA. With Geno 2.0, you will learn if you have any Neanderthal or Denisovan DNA in your genome.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/about/

I know a few people I am quite certain are Neanderthals. :devil:

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. I think I may have American Indian in me, but I don't know. This could tell me if I do? I'm white, but I may also have some black in me. It would be cool to know. I think I'll wait until someone else here does it.

leroyjenkens said:
That is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. I think I may have American Indian in me, but I don't know. This could tell me if I do? I'm white, but I may also have some black in me. It would be cool to know. I think I'll wait until someone else here does it.
Yes, it can tell both of those things, definitely the American Indian. View the short video on the "about" link "Video: About the project".

Just ordered mine!

Drakkith said:
Just ordered mine!
Oooh! You'll have to share the results when you get them!

It's tempting, but is the information really worth the price? I'd be interested in your findings Drakkith.

Evo said:
Oooh! You'll have to share the results when you get them!

I'm 10% plankton...interesting...

It's worth it to me for the novelty of knowing, if nothing else. Plus you get included in the study and part of the cost goes back into funding the project. Finally, I will be contributing something to science. :cool: I think my kids will get a kick out of it. It's too bad the episode isn't available on the Nat Geo website, some of the people got some unexpected results. If my mother is correct, somewhere in my ancestry we came from another planet. :tongue2:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I did the http://www.23andme.com DNA testing last year and it was fairly interesting, but in the end, I don't really take much away from it. It doesn't do anything for me now.
Isn't that mostly medical testing? This is nothing like it.

Evo said:
Isn't that mostly medical testing? This is nothing like it.

It has an ancestry section.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It has an ancestry section.
From the project.

23andMe is primarily a medically focused testing company, examining markers that are associated with disease risk. While they do offer some insights into ancestry, that is not their primary focus. The genetic technology we use for our testing is a custom-designed genotyping chip optimized for the study of ancestry, with far more Y-chromosome and mtDNA markers than are available with any other test. Our autosomal markers are similarly optimized for inferring ancestry, rather than medical testing, and we feel that it is the best technology available for this purpose.

My cousin has been pestering me to go to a family tree dna testing site and have it done for genealogical purposes. It's $159 for mitochondrial, $169 for Y-chromosome, and $289 for both. It doesn't find relatives for you, it just compares known relatives. I don't see the point of it unless it is to show that you were adopted.

Jimmy Snyder said:
My cousin has been pestering me to go to a family tree dna testing site and have it done for genealogical purposes. It's $159 for mitochondrial, $169 for Y-chromosome, and $289 for both. It doesn't find relatives for you, it just compares known relatives. I don't see the point of it unless it is to show that you were adopted.
That's not what this is either, it's not genealogical. This is that project that has been tracing the different migrations out of Africa, different paths taken and with markers in your dna (they have a huge database) they can determine which of the migrations and paths your ancestors took, going back to 40,000 to 60,000 years.

And then your data is added to the growing data base for the project.

I'm interested in knowing when my family went to Europe, was it before or during the ice age? Did they wander around and arrive after the ice age?

Last edited:
Evo said:
Yes, it can tell both of those things, definitely the American Indian. View the short video on the "about" link "Video: About the project".

That's pretty cool. If I was crazy enough, I would buy 2 of them, send in one sample with my DNA, and one with my dog's DNA just to see what his results are.

leroyjenkens said:
That's pretty cool. If I was crazy enough, I would buy 2 of them, send in one sample with my DNA, and one with my dog's DNA just to see what his results are.
Lol, the dog should throw them.

Neat! I want one.

Hm, interesting. I was doing some light searching of results and found 1 result from a person named Jeff that genotyped his ancestry in 2007, the first phase of this public collaboration with science.

http://jeffyen.blogspot.com/2007/10/my-dna-results-are-out-genographic.html

I was hesitant at first but now I would like my results after seeing Jeff's. I think it would be rather good to know as I am highly curious now.

Mentalist said:
Hm, interesting. I was doing some light searching of results and found 1 result from a person named Jeff that genotyped his ancestry in 2007, the first phase of this public collaboration with science.

http://jeffyen.blogspot.com/2007/10/my-dna-results-are-out-genographic.html

I was hesitant at first but now I would like my results after seeing Jeff's. I think it would be rather good to know as I am highly curious now.
The link the other guy posted with the map was great too. Ok, now I need to beg, borrow and steal to get mine.

Fascinating idea!

Somehow, someway, Ireland met with Sicily and I popped into existence. It definitely would be nice to see the science behind all those nutty reunions.

Here is a short video on the Genographic Project. It first began in 2005.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is DNA and how does it relate to tracing ancestry?

DNA (Deoxyribonucleic acid) is a molecule that contains genetic instructions for the development and functioning of all living organisms. It is passed down from generation to generation and can provide valuable information about a person's ancestry through analysis of genetic markers.

2. Why is Africa considered the birthplace of human ancestry?

Africa is considered the birthplace of human ancestry because it is where the oldest human fossils have been found and where the oldest human DNA has been traced to. It is also the most genetically diverse continent, indicating that humans originated from there and migrated to other parts of the world.

3. How is DNA used to trace ancestry?

DNA can be analyzed through various methods, such as DNA sequencing and DNA testing kits, to identify genetic markers and compare them to known markers of different ethnic groups. This can provide insight into a person's ancestral origins and potential migration patterns.

4. Can DNA testing accurately determine a person's ethnicity?

DNA testing can provide a general overview of a person's ethnicity, but it is not 100% accurate. This is because ethnicity is a social construct and can vary depending on cultural and societal definitions. Additionally, DNA testing does not account for cultural assimilation and genetic mixing.

5. Are there any limitations to using DNA to trace ancestry?

Yes, there are limitations to using DNA to trace ancestry. These include limited access to DNA databases, potential for errors in data interpretation, and the fact that DNA only provides information about direct maternal and paternal lines, leaving out other ancestors who may have contributed to a person's genetic makeup.