DNS, pinging and URL blocking

• Thread starter fog37
  • Start date
In summary: You should try to turn the ping service back on, and if that fails, try to set up DNS server on the router.
fog37
Hello Forum,

I understand that the DNS (primary and secondary) in my internet router convert URL requests into numerical IP address to use for retrieving the requested content from the web.
I have a host device that is skype enabled that stopped working (does not connect to the internet anymore) because it pings the skype.com and does not get a ping back (Microsoft disactivated the ping response).
How can I fix that?

Is it possible to block the pinging to www.skype.com and have the device ping something else? What changes should I make to the DNS configuration? I don't think my router let's me block certain URLs...If I managed, somehow, to place a block to www.skype.com on the DNS, also all the other host devices would not be able to connect to www.skype.com. Could I let the other devices access www.skype.com by tweaking things at the devices level (DNS configuration on each device)?

thanks,
fog37

Computer science news on Phys.org
Your best bet is to figure out how to turn the ping service back on. What type of system do you have? Windows 7, 10, or something else?

The problem is that the device is requiring that www.skype.com return an ICMP echo. That site no longer returns a response to ICMP echo.

You could do the DNS shenanigans if you have something that can have a DNS server installed. Just change the primary DNS server on your router to that and and you have full control over the DNS responses. You could set it up so that the offending device gets an IP address of the DNS server instead of the Microsoft provided one. You can respond to the ping from there and probably put a tunnel into make everything seamless.

BoB

1. What is DNS and how does it work?

DNS stands for Domain Name System and it is responsible for translating human-readable domain names (such as www.example.com) into IP addresses (such as 192.168.1.1) that computers use to communicate with each other. It works by using a distributed database system to store and retrieve information about domain names and their associated IP addresses.

2. How do I ping a website and what does it tell me?

Pinging a website is a way to test the connection between your computer and a specific website. To ping a website, open the command prompt on your computer and type "ping" followed by the website's URL. This will send a small packet of data to the website and measure the time it takes for a response to be received. This can help determine if there are any connection issues between your computer and the website.

3. Why would a URL be blocked?

URLs can be blocked for a variety of reasons, such as security concerns, content filtering, or government censorship. In some cases, the website owner may also choose to block certain URLs to restrict access to certain content or to prevent unauthorized use of their website.

4. How can I check if a URL is being blocked?

To check if a URL is being blocked, you can try accessing it from a different network or using a virtual private network (VPN). If you are still unable to access the URL, it is likely being blocked. You can also use online tools or browser extensions that check for website blocks and provide information on why the URL may be inaccessible.

5. Can DNS be used to bypass URL blocking?

No, DNS cannot be used to bypass URL blocking. DNS only translates domain names into IP addresses and does not have the capability to bypass any blocks or restrictions set on a URL. However, using a DNS server that is not controlled by your internet service provider (ISP) may allow you to access blocked websites, as the DNS server may not have the same restrictions in place.