1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do +0 and -0 make sence?

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    Somebody asked me how absolute value of a real number can be defined. I said |a| is defined as +a if a>=0 and -a if a<0 (instead of, |a| is defined as a if a>=0 and -a if a<0). Then came an objection that with such a definition if a=0 its absolute value should be +0 and there's no such thing.

Can't one define -0 and +0 in integer number set such that +0=-0=0?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, yes. The unary operators '+' and '-' are defined for all real numbers. '+x' is always 'x', and '-x' is always the additive inverse of 'x'.

4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    Thanks.

So, as I understood since 0 is a real number unary operations both + and - is defined for 0 such that +0=0 and +0+(-0)=0 (per definition of additive inverse). Since +0+(-0)=0 and +0=0 => 0+(-0)=0 => -0=0 too. Am I right?

5. Feb 17, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

+0= -0 since 0 is its own additive inverse. You might want to ask your friend whether "4" is plus or minus. There is no "+" in front of it! The standard convention is that no sign in front of a number implies "+" so "4= +4" (or "0= +0") is understood. You certainly do not need to say "|0|= +0".

6. Feb 17, 2008 #5

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And here I was thinking the question was about the IEEE floating point +0 vs -0 distinction (4 / -0 = -infinity in IEEE arithmetic, for example -- signs propagate as usual).

7. Feb 17, 2008 #6
    Thank you all. Your explanations were very clear.

8. Feb 17, 2008 #7
    I think you avoid this complication if you explain that the definition of the absolute value of a number is its distance away from Zero.

My feeling is that thinking about absolute value as a distance helps in a lot of ways.

|x| = 2
    What numbers distance away from 0 is 2? 2, and -2.

It helps more when there is other stuff inside the absolute value.
    |x - 4| = 2

Here you can think about it as a numbers distance away from 4 is 2 thus the answers is 6 and 2.

|x + 4| = 2

Here same thing, a numbers distance away from -4 is 2, therefore the answers are -6 and -2.

|x - 4| = -2
    This statement clearly doesn't make sense, how can a numbers distance away from 4 be -2, distances must be positive.

9. Feb 27, 2008 #8
    ....0 is either positive or negative... it's the same.

10. Feb 27, 2008 #9

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm with CRGreathouse - +0 and -0 in IEEE format floating point operations.
    That's what I though this thread was about.

11. Feb 27, 2008 #10
    Is it an implied operation that:
    -5 == (-1)*(5) ?
    because then there would be a difference in the infinity case:

1/(-0) == 1/((-1)*(0)) = - (1/0) = -infinity

(Mathematica agrees with me)

12. Feb 27, 2008 #11

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, first "infinity" is not a real number so you can't expect formulas for real numbers to apply.

But I'm puzzled as to what difference you see!

13. Feb 27, 2008 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wrong: 0 is neither positive nor negative.

14. Feb 28, 2008 #13

oppsss... ^^... sorry..^^ wrong grammar... hehe

15. Feb 28, 2008 #14
    This is maybe a dumb question but I am going to ask it and maybe Hurkyl or Hallsofivy can answer it:

Could - or + 0 be dependent on how one approaches 0 at the limit (positive side or negative side)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?